Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

*98-02 CHEAP* LED CONVERSION [cluster, clock, dome, maps, door, plate]

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Geez, wish I had seen this thread before I dropped $100 on a full blue conversion from LEDautomotive! It looks nice, but I definitely could have saved some money.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:28 AM

Hello,
I know this is an old thread, but I just ran across it. I'm interested in doing an entire conversion to LED for the *interior* of my 2002 Accord EX 4-door. That includes door lights, dome, map, instrument cluster, A/C control (manual controls), and the cruise/moonroof switches. Does anyone have a breakdown of exactly which bulbs I need for what? I haven't been able to figure out which of the various "T" models are for what. I think I know which ones I need for the dome/door/map lights.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 PM

Update: Good news and bad news. Good news: I converted my interior door, dome, and visor lights to LED and that went fine. I'm also in the process of (as in I've ordered the parts for) converting my exterior lights to LED.

Bad news: I was doing the instrument cluster conversion today, and I seem to have burned up my cluster. Everything was going fine -- I was doing a couple of lights at a time, then testing to see if the lights worked, and if not, reversing them. As I was nearly done, I saw a thin wisp of smoke coming out of the top of the right side of the panel. I quickly disconnected everything, and I took the back panel off to expose the circuit board. Nothing looked burned, but I could smell burned solder near the right side. At this point, I'm afraid to plug it back in, so it looks like I'm buying a new gauge cluster. Guess I'll stick with the incandescent bulbs this time...

Anyone else had anything like this happen before? Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong?

Old 02-06-2015, 09:41 PM

An update: My instrument cluster is OK after all. Except, I think the fuel warning light circuit blew/melted. Nothing obvious on the circuit board, but that indicator no longer works (still has an incandescent bulb). The day after my last post, I decided to try the cluster again, and it worked, and didn't smoke. Yay!

So here's the latest on my LED conversion:

I'm trying to do basically the entire car. I started out with the interior lights: Dome, map lights, door courtesy lights, and vanity mirrors. No problems there.

Next, the instrument cluster. I bought the right quantities of red, amber, blue, and clear bulbs from ez-motoring.com (they didn't have green). That's mostly what I have in the cluster now, but I'm not very happy with them. The red bulbs don't stay tightly in the sockets, and the oil light has already fallen out twice. The white and amber ones are better. But also, the LEDs I got from them are all single-SMD lights, except for the T10 bulbs, which are 4-SMD. Single SMDs are fine for the small indicator lights, but not for lighting up a larger area. The far right side of the cluster, where the fuel and temperature gauges are, uses a T5 bulb for some reason instead of a T10. The single-SMD T5 bulb wasn't lighting that area up very well. Even the 4-SMD T10s tend to have hot spots. I found some multi-SMD 360-degree T5s at SuperBrightLEDS.com, and they also had single-SMD T5s in green! So I got 4 greens for the turn signals, Cruise, and immobilizer lights. Their bulbs stay in the sockets MUCH tighter. In fact, they push the edges of the bulb holder on the socket out a bit, so you have to rock the socket back and forth a bit to get it into the back of the cluster. Small price to pay for bulb security! The multi-SMD bulb lights up the odometer and the fuel/temp gauges SO much better than the single-SMD. I think it's 5 SMDs, or maybe 3, but the additional SMDs are on the sides, not the front, so it provides better illumination. I just ordered some T10 360-degree LEDs from them as well, for the other 3 gauge bulbs. In addition, I ordered a quantity of blue, red, and amber bulbs for the other instrument cluster lights to replace the not-very-secure bulbs from ez-motoring.

I'm also doing a conversion of the other dash lights (climate control, clock, cruise & sunroof buttons, and even the power window switch on the driver's door) once the parts come in.

Finally, the outside:

All bulbs except the headlights have been replaced with LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. They're awesome! I did have to replace my turn signal flasher with an LED-compatible one, though. No problem, $14.03 at AutoZone and that's done. I ordered a set of 9006 and 9005 Putco LED headlamp bulbs from AutoAnything.com. They have the ballast built-in, so they're plug-and-play.

One side-effect of the LED brake light bulbs, though, is that since they draw less current, the brake lamp sensor thinks I have a burned out brake light, and the "brake lamp" indicator on the dash is lit up all the time. I found an electrical solution involving cutting a wire in the harness that runs through the trunk and grounding it somewhere, but that's beyond my comfort level, so my high-tech solution was to remove the clear plastic cover from the instrument cluster and put a piece of black electrical tape over the "brake lamp" indicator. Don't worry, it's not the "BRAKE" warning light that comes on when you have a brake problem or have the e-brake on... I would never cover that one up.

I'm anxious for my Putco headlamps to arrive, so I can complete the exterior conversion. Even now, with all of the changes made so far, the interior lighting has a fresh look that makes me feel like I have a new car! Who cares if it has 239K miles on it, LOL.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:39 AM

What about for 04 year

Old 03-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I know this thread is 10 years old, but I found the bulb sizes helpful in replacing my burnt out cluster bulbs in my '01 Accord. Thank you.