Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

1st car. 1st paint attempt. =)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Default 1st car. 1st paint attempt. =)

So i recently purchased my first car, a 1996 Honda Accord EX for $1150. it has needed a little bit of body work but the engine is really clean. H22A1 in the thing. So when i bought it i noticed it needed a bit of cosmetic work and a paintjob. So i purchased the front bumper and rear bumper from Advance Auto for under $100 for both. And I blacked out the tailights but still need a drivers side light. And thankfully thats the last thing i NEED on the car.
Last night me and my dad started the prep work for the frontend so we can paint it today. We taped off the headlights and turnsignal lamps. and we sanded and primed the whole front end. Hopefully there will be pictures up in a little bit of the first coat of paint. Im going with Italian Olive Green. Its basically a lighter toned OD.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:12 PM

cool, so we'll be almost twins...lol

Name:  green003.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  114.2 KB

oh, and just some advise, i'd remove the turn signals, bumper lights, and tail lights when painting, makes it so much easier and you can get good coverage with the paint.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM

oh and did you use krylon?
and 1 more quick question. would you sand down the whole car or just let it go?
i sanded down the hood and front end but it kinda doesnt look as good so im just kinda wonderin.
yeah mine is lookin alot like that but i actually just bought some really good 3M tape and am taping it off. the only difference really is gunna be my side mirrors are going black along with the rub strip on the side just to give it a good contrast. then all i need is rims and some new rubber and ill be good.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 AM

yes, I used Krylon indoor/outdoor paint. Do you mean sand before or after painting? If befroe, yes, scuff up the entire current pant job with 220 grit. If after, that is really up to you. I will wetsand mine sometime to try and get out some spray streaks, but not right now.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 AM

ok thanks alot.
i used 100 grit on the hood and fenders so its kinda messy but i think that the wetsanding from what ive seen will fix the minor defects in the paint.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM

ok here is what the hood and front end look like as of now. probably going to do one more coat and wetsand but im outta paint for now. so heres some pics

Old 07-10-2009, 12:50 PM

looks pretty good, I would have taped off the middle lower bar tho, looks better when left black

for example:
Name:  wagon001-1.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  101.6 KB

Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

looks good

Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 PM
okie-f22
Unregistered

Originally Posted by dfaulkner
looks pretty good, I would have taped off the middle lower bar tho, looks better when left black

for example:
what kind of grille is that? its awesome

Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM

these are real nice lookin cars guys keep up the good work its the best feeling when u put blood sweat and elbo grease and come out with a great lookin project cant wait to see the end result

Quick Reply: 1st car. 1st paint attempt. =)