Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Blacked-Out 2010 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Default Blacked-Out 2010 Accord

So I decided to post answers to all the questions I had when I decided to blackout all the LAME chrome trim on my Accord, for the benefit of others thinking about doing the same.

First, with regard to the question of window trim: should you use blackout tape or paint? I tried blackout tape, at first - I got a decent roll from a vendor called shadowline trim. You can google it and order online. Here's the deal with taping chrome - it looks OKAY, but if you're a perfectionist, you won't like the result. I went really, really slowly, trying to smooth out bubbles and trimming the tape precisely with an Exacto knife (I spent HOURS doing this)... in the end, you'll never get rid of all the bubbles, and with the way the chrome trim on the Accord is flush to the rubber, there will be edges where the chrome is exposed. You'll only notice if you're a foot away and really looking, but that was enough for me to go to a body shop and just get it painted.

I decided to order replacement trim parts for the windows and have them painted before they were applied. This worked fairly well - far better than tape. For do-it-yourself type people, you need to scuff the chrome, put on adhesion promoter, then prime, then paint. The body shop actually painted over the whole trim (including the rubber, to my dismay) but now that it's on it looks good. If it chips or cracks, I'll come back here and add a post. Incidentally, the rear window trim on the coupe is integrated with the window, so it can't be removed without taking the window out as well.

Second, door handles. I just had the dealer replace the LAME chrome handles with factory black handler.

Third, the grill. I replaced the grill with a new one from T-Rex. You can google that. It didn't quite fit and it had to be cut a little, but I think it came out pretty decent.

Fourth, the rear emblems. I had the dealer remove the "Accord" and "V6" emblems using a heat gun and fishing line. I took off the "H" which was challenging, because there's two plugs that rest in holes in the trunk. I wainted the paint the chrome "H" black, which was harder than I expected. I tried scuffing it up and spray painting it, but the paint just wouldn't stick. Eventually, I made a chemical bath of bleach and over remover, and soaked the H in there for a couple weeks until the chrome dissolved, leaving the bare ABS plastic underneath. From there, the paint stuck pretty well. When I re-applied it, I stuck it back in the holes, and put some 3M automotive double-stick tape on the back to hold it in. I am debating just getting rid of the H entirely and having the body shop fill the holes with factory-matched paint... I'll see how well the paint holds up on the H before I decide.

Fifth, the exhaust tips. These come off with a screwdriver. I had the body shop paint them.

Sixth, the window tint. Virginia has some of the strictest tint laws in the country. I ended up getting the legal limit - 35% on the rear/quarter windows, and 50% on the side windows. Lots of people say 50% isn't even noticeable, but I was pleased with the result. It helps to have a dark car with a dark interior.

Seventh, the taillights. I had the same guy who tinted my windows tint the taillights with a light smoke. I coudln't find anything in Virginia automotive laws about this, but the cops can be sticklers about this, so I just went for a light smoke. I got film instead of paint, so it's reversible in case they hassle me at my annual inspection.

So there you have it. Here's the grainy pictures of the final product:

Name:  IMG_1311.jpg
Views: 10481
Size:  57.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1303.jpg
Views: 4714
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1309.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  33.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1307.jpg
Views: 2120
Size:  32.0 KB

Old 05-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Administrator

This is a more appropiate thread to put this in , better than New Member..
Thanks for posting anyways for all of us.
WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

i like it, you made good decisions. i'd like to see some clear daytime pics as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb

So would I..the pictures are too dark to see the good results of your work...

Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 AM

Wow I really like the final result even though the smoked lights are film, but wow I really like it's cool, just not diggin the grill but that's just my opinion

Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by mbaik
Wow I really like the final result even though the smoked lights are film, but wow I really like it's cool, just not diggin the grill but that's just my opinion
it is a bad BUTT car, the grills aren't that bad but could be better. honestly i think they're fine.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Default Daylight pictures, by popular demand.

I didn't have a chance to wash the car before taking these pics, but here are some daylight shots, with a close-up of the window trim.

Name:  IMG_1322.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1318-1.jpg
Views: 2344
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1323.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  62.1 KB

IMG_1321.jpg?t=1273009472

Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

much better. i like your methods. i'm not one for chrome either. if i repaint my Accord i'd remove badging, replace the front and rear bumpers, etc.

i've been thinking of tinting my factory tail lights in lieu of aftermarket, but i'm also curious on legality and how the tint will hold up with washing, etc.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 PM

for the black door handles, did you pay for the parts/labor? i too hate the excessive chrome on the Accords old and current generations. i woulda left the tails alone, but good job overall.

i bought blackout tape from Pepboys and applied around my window trim. It has not failed in any way for me yet, going on 2 years maybe more.
Name:  bo1.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  trim2.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  trim3.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  67.1 KB

Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Exclamation Heck Yes

That does look pretty nice, I like it better in the light..

WheelBrokerAng

Quick Reply: Blacked-Out 2010 Accord