Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Re-Touching Clear Coat Spotting

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Default Re-Touching Clear Coat Spotting

I'm no novice to the investigation of Clear Coat delamination. Search for "Clear Coat" to see how Some Honda's have been know to have the Clear Coat peel and spot in certain areas of the car. My clear coat issue is on my Roof (two Big spots behind sunroof) and on my trunk (smaller spots throughout)

Chances are, it's gonna spread to the hood. Now, I'm not spending 1500 - 2000 on a proper paint job, nor am I settling for Macco's. I'll sonner not do anything, but If I'm gonna do nothing, well, why not try something in the DIY frame of mind.

How about re-touch those areas. Is this even an option? I know my car's color: G-83P3, euclyptas Green. I know I can get my color matched from http://www.paintscratch.com/ or one of the touchup paint sites.

I figure, even if the color is off a slight bit, it's on the roof (as this is the priority due from the severity of the clear coat delamination). I see some of these touch-up paints come with clear coat spray.

Any suggestions or commentary towards this notion?

thanks

Old 04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Default RE: Re-Touching Clear Coat Spotting

up

Old 04-04-2007, 07:28 PM

With a car that old , well it's not that old, I would try touching it up. I did almost the whole rear quarter panel on my 99LX with a rattle can of paint and clear coat. Unless I told you I didit you would not notice it. I got my paint from www.etouchup.com. Check em out.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 PM

GREAT!!. That's what I wanted to hear. Can you give me any tips on proceedure. Sanding? Primer? Did you do your panel inside or outside?

thanks!!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 PM

I didnt get real carried away on sanding just a light wet sanding for what I needed to do. As it was on the plactic bumper cover.And no primer. I didnt want that all over either. Then I would have to cover it with paint. I wanted to keep the repair area as small as possible. I had boby lines that helped hide the new paint from the original. Yours sounds like large flat areas that will make it more visable.
Im like you, I not going to paint the whole car but I didnt wantto just leave it. looking bad.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 AM

I used to have a black Civic that had clear coat problems (mostly on the hood) and I rubbed in some of that black liquid "Color Restorer" after each wash, and it made a big difference. Didn't completely go away, but was an easy, inexpensive solution that looked great.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 PM

what is the name of this product and does it come in specific "honda paint" colors

thanks