Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

03 accord navi dvd disk read error

Old 04-05-2006, 11:24 AM
mbaron
Unregistered
Default 03 accord navi dvd disk read error

My 03 Accord, V6 EX navigation occasionaly has "DVD Disc Read Error" coming on the display. After a while it restarts the navigation system and clears up. Anybody else have this problem?

Old 04-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 03 accord navi dvd disk read error

you know i wish i did cause that would mean that i actually had navigation....but unfortunately in my 91 i dont.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 PM

Well I don't have Navi in mine either, but my first guess would be head on over to your Honda Dealer and ask them for a new disc if they have them.
The Navigation CD's are mailed to us every year (The TL's)

Old 09-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Considering that a new disc will cost you $185, you might want to take this disc to somewhere that will resurface the disc. If there are any scratches on the disc, it can sometimes cause problems. These units are extremely difficult when attempting to read backup's as well.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have you ever taken the disc out? it would seem odd if it were scratched at all...cause i would never take it out...

Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Mbaron:
This issue is happening with my 2004 Accord. I bought the new 2010 DVD to upgrade (finally) and it started happening once and a while a few weeks ago, but eventually it would work. Additionally, every now and again when it wasn't being used, the navi would "reboot" - show the "Navigation" startup screen again without me touching it or turning the car on/off. Now, all I get are disc read errors and I cannot get the navigation to work. I have checked the DVD, its surfically flawless. I have checked the connections, those are fine. Could it be the laser getting off kilter? I have coilovers in the car and I unfortunately went over a really horrible bump in a parking garage and feel that maybe that may have jolted the unit enough. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this versus replacing it? I have some electrical knowledge.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Default Yes!

Originally Posted by mbaron
My 03 Accord, V6 EX navigation occasionaly has "DVD Disc Read Error" coming on the display. After a while it restarts the navigation system and clears up. Anybody else have this problem?
I have the same problem with my 03 EX. Finally gave up and just lived with it. However, the other day it quit altogether. After reading other posts here I bought a DVD lens cleaner disc and WOO HOO....it's working again!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM

I had problems after installing a new disk. I get a message saying the system can't complete the routing (or something like that). I tried ejecting the disk to examine it, and it won't eject. Dealer couldn't get it to eject either. Satellite link appears ok, as it shows my location, etc. And the system sometimes works on shorter routes, but often directions are garbled. Does anyone know of a shop in Southern California that works on these systems?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:32 AM

If the DVD drive itself is bad, you're probably looking at a $300+ replacement cost:

2003-2005 honda accord navigation gps dvd player +map | eBay

However, I suspect it would be possible to pull the system and just replace the DVD drive with something from a PC. It seems impossible Honda or their manufacturer would have some oddball drive.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM

My 04 V6 had the "Disc Error Problem" as well. It just happened all of a sudden, and when I looked at the disk, there were no scratches on it.

I ended up sending my dvd unit and $158 bucks to Alpine. Within a week and a half they fixed my unit and sent it back to me. Works just like new!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 accord navi dvd disk read error