Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2005 Accord LX. Randomly radio POPS! and then goes dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

just replace it with an aftermarket unit. it ends up being cheaper and much much better sound quality. you can keep the original radio in there and install an aftermarket in the bottom storage bin. this way you can keep the climate controls that come with the original radio

Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by honda2K
just replace it with an aftermarket unit. it ends up being cheaper and much much better sound quality. you can keep the original radio in there and install an aftermarket in the bottom storage bin. this way you can keep the climate controls that come with the original radio
Ditto, but make sure you get the installation kit that gives the OEM Radio power, otherwise you'll lose the clock and illumination of the controls.

See this for what I'm talking about:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...io-help-54971/

Last edited by paladyr; 02-20-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:35 PM

I have a 2005 Honda Accord and my radio just died on me this weekend. I was listening to the radio and there was a loud pop and then a very odd hissing sound. I quickly turned off my radio and now I have no sound. My pre-set stations now show "0" when I press them. This happened on Saturday and still today I have no radio. I spoke to my friend who is a mechanic and he thinks my radios is in fact dead and to look around for aftermarket radios. What was the outcome of your girlfriends radio dilemma?

Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kristen Hakala
I have a 2005 Honda Accord and my radio just died on me this weekend. I was listening to the radio and there was a loud pop and then a very odd hissing sound. I quickly turned off my radio and now I have no sound. My pre-set stations now show "0" when I press them. This happened on Saturday and still today I have no radio. I spoke to my friend who is a mechanic and he thinks my radios is in fact dead and to look around for aftermarket radios. What was the outcome of your girlfriends radio dilemma?
sorry to hear about the issue. sadly, it is common with the Panasonic head units used back then (Honda has since severed the contract with Panasonic, no doubt due to these problems).

a replacement with aftermarket is your best route. you'll get modern features (including hands-free calling, USB, BT, Pandora, etc.) at a fraction of the price of buying a factory replacement with the same problems.

any local stereo store or big box store (Best Buy) can install the new radio for you. or you can browse Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV or CARiD.com - Auto Parts & Accessories | Car, Truck, SUV, Jeep and look at what options you have for your car.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Default 2005 Accord LX - Radio Pop

Thank you all for the reply about my radio. I ended up buying a new aftermarket component and so far so good. I took my car to The
Toy Guys in Irving, Texas and for just over $400 bucks I now have better radio with several features that my previous radio didn't have.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kristen Hakala
Thank you all for the reply about my radio. I ended up buying a new aftermarket component and so far so good. I took my car to The
Toy Guys in Irving, Texas and for just over $400 bucks I now have better radio with several features that my previous radio didn't have.
Excellent. enjoy and feel fee to come back for any other questions.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:01 PM

I've had the same problem occurring in my 04. Everything looks fine but no sound at all. I don't think mine has an external amp so I replaced the radio and now it never comes on. Did anyone ever solve this problem?

Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Default 2005 accord radio looses audio

I have had this problem for about 2yrs getting progressively worse.If i hit the on /off button twice it would work fine until the next time '' about twice in a 10 mile trip''.Apparently the speakers have a automatic reset if there is a short. That is why the radio will come back on straight away if you hit the on/off button twice.I checked the rear speaker connections first they looked good.I had just washed the car and then decide to check the front door speakers , they were soaked. The rear of the speaker has no protection from the elements. Bad form Honda.I dried the speakers off and formed a shield out off plastic sheet to keep them dry.I have done about 300 miles now with no problem.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:15 PM

2005 Accord DX speaker lets out sharp, very loud bang -- almost like a gunshot. The radio shuts off and then I can turn it back on again. It happens intermittently - maybe once every couple of weeks. Sounds like the 2005-ers are seeing this more than other years -- was there a recall? All original parts.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mkav
2005 Accord DX speaker lets out sharp, very loud bang -- almost like a gunshot. The radio shuts off and then I can turn it back on again. It happens intermittently - maybe once every couple of weeks. Sounds like the 2005-ers are seeing this more than other years -- was there a recall? All original parts.
a replacement is needed, aftermarket is the way to go since all in that era had issues.

Quick Reply: 2005 Accord LX. Randomly radio POPS! and then goes dead