Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2005 Accord, No Audio.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Americanhero
Unregistered
Default 2005 Accord, No Audio.

Hello,

I bought a used 2005 Honda Accord with 6 disc player. The radio seems to work fine. I can control audio level, change from cd to radio and everything. However, there is no audio coming from any of the speakers.

I bought the car with the audio not working. Also, when I turn up the volume and put my head next to the speakers, I can hear slight static in all the speakers (so the speakers are getting power).

I checked the wiring harness for the stereo, and it's plugged in correctly.

What should I try in order to fix this issue? Could it be the amplifier that's at fault?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sorry to say but to fix it you would have to find someone who knows a lot about these units. I doubt you would even be able to find such a person, but looking wouldn't hurt. If you want to keep the stock HU, your going to have to replace it. My recommendation is to go aftermarket, the stock HU has a built in EQ that deteriorates the sound quality. A new HU will give you better sound with new speakers, and a lot more features. If you really want to replace it with an OEM unit, I actually have mine that I'm selling. It's a lot newer and in bettter conditon than anything you will find on ebay. Let me know if yur interested.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Americanhero
Unregistered

Thank you for the reply.

Before I go out and buy another HU, how can I be sure that it's the HU that's at fault. I'm trying to keep cost at minimal. I will try and replace the stock amplifier.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Smile

Hey, take the unit out and have it tested at your local Stereo Shop..

That usually works for most people...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Americanhero
Thank you for the reply.

Before I go out and buy another HU, how can I be sure that it's the HU that's at fault. I'm trying to keep cost at minimal. I will try and replace the stock amplifier.
It is possible it's not the headunit. But I would say it's safe to say there's 95% chance it's the HU. The amplifier is built into the unit, everything is built into it ever the cd changer. Unless you find a shop or someone privately that repairs them, you going to have to replace the whole unit.

EDIT: Has the harness been hacked up at all? Does it still have tape wrapped around it right up to the harness? Other than the HU, the only other problem could be wiring. Is there anything plugged into the AUX port on the bottom, like XM? Try unplugging it and see if that fixes your problem. You could even unplug the harness from the radio, get a pin out diagram of the plug and with a multimeter check the resistance of each speaker (should be 4 or 8ohms, 0.00 ohms means you have a short), than check for continuity to ground. Maybe a short int he speaker wiring is causing this. Other than that I don't know what to tell you, sorry.

Last edited by t00fatt; 06-05-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Americanhero
Unregistered

Originally Posted by t00fatt
It is possible it's not the headunit. But I would say it's safe to say there's 95% chance it's the HU. The amplifier is built into the unit, everything is built into it ever the cd changer. Unless you find a shop or someone privately that repairs them, you going to have to replace the whole unit.

EDIT: Has the harness been hacked up at all? Does it still have tape wrapped around it right up to the harness? Other than the HU, the only other problem could be wiring. Is there anything plugged into the AUX port on the bottom, like XM? Try unplugging it and see if that fixes your problem. You could even unplug the harness from the radio, get a pin out diagram of the plug and with a multimeter check the resistance of each speaker (should be 4 or 8ohms, 0.00 ohms means you have a short), than check for continuity to ground. Maybe a short int he speaker wiring is causing this. Other than that I don't know what to tell you, sorry.
Thanks buddy. I will first try replacing the stock amplifier with another stock amplifier: http://i18.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/2b/3f/94cc_1_sbl.JPG

And then if that does not work, a new head unit.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Dude please hear what I'm saying. The amplifier circuit is built into the the HU. There is no way to just replace the amp. That is prolly not for a 7th gen, and if it is its not just the amp but the whole radio unit without the face plate and HVAC controls. I would do some research before buying that if that's what it is. These radio's are locked, and you may not be bale to just just swap parts out like that.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Americanhero
Unregistered

Dude please hear what I'm saying. The amplifier circuit is built into the the HU. There is no way to just replace the amp. That is prolly not for a 7th gen, and if it is its not just the amp but the whole radio unit without the face plate and HVAC controls. I would do some research before buying that if that's what it is. These radio's are locked, and you may not be bale to just just swap parts out like that.
Alright, then what is the purpose of this amplifier in the back of the car? http://i18.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/2b/3f/94cc_1_sbl.JPG

^^ It is located in the trunk ceiling of the car.

Thank you once again for the great input.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 PM

Are you sure that's from a 7th gen? Are you in America? The EUDM or JDM accord may have an amp in the back, but the USDM 7th gen accord does not. I own one...

Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Americanhero
Unregistered

Are you sure that's from a 7th gen? Are you in America? The EUDM or JDM accord may have an amp in the back, but the USDM 7th gen accord does not. I own one...
The car is Accord Coupe 2005 EX in United States. That amplifier is right there in the back hooked up to the ceiling of the trunk.

Quick Reply: 2005 Accord, No Audio.