Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2007 Intermittent Loss of Audio + radio turning self on

Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Default 2007 Intermittent Loss of Audio + radio turning self on

Hi all! I posted this thread a couple months ago about intermittent audio loss. Well it's finally warmed up and I had the time so I took the dash apart today. I didn't find anything obvious but the problem has gotten stranger.

About a month ago the wife started mentioning that the radio would just randomly turn on even with the ignition off and the key out. It was doing this constantly today as I disassembled the dash it would blink on usually for just a second or 2 then go right back off. One time it stayed on for a little longer so I hit the power button to shut it off but the clock was still on. Then it went back off and a minute or so later the radio turned back on. At this point it seems to be the head unit that's the issue but I wanted to see what everyone though.

Oh and I still have it torn apart for the moment if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks much!!!

Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

is it the factory or an aftermarket radio. it seems as if your ignition wire is getting 12 volts from somewhere. could be the constant wire or another wire. it could be internal in the radio.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. Its factory. Sorry should have mentioned that.. That's what it seems but as with all intermittent problems its hard to track down. Is there a relay maybe that controls this that's acting up?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM

I do not believe that there is relay for the radio. I believe it is just a switch. take out the fuse for the radio. this fuse should only be for the switched 12 volt. and see if it still does it. if it does you know that your problem is after the fuse box and is either internal in the head unit or in the wires themselves. if not then you know the problem is in the fuse box or before. that will give you a good starting point to start tracing the problem.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by neophyte
I do not believe that there is relay for the radio. I believe it is just a switch. take out the fuse for the radio. this fuse should only be for the switched 12 volt. and see if it still does it. if it does you know that your problem is after the fuse box and is either internal in the head unit or in the wires themselves. if not then you know the problem is in the fuse box or before. that will give you a good starting point to start tracing the problem.
I actually purchased the stuff to install my old head unit side-by-side into her car so I think I'm going to do that and see what happens. I'm almost positive it's the factory unit since the one time I turned it off when it came back on it acted as though I had never pushed the power button and was back on. And this is really hard to describe though a forum post.

Lets go this way. I will put in the after-market deck in the next week or two and we will see what happens. If the problem is solved then it was the factory head unit. If not then I will make (yet) another post. If I do solve it with the new head unit then I will post back here (assuming that's alright with the mods) that it was the problem.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM

My factory head unit (03) had a bunch of problems. I also replaced the headunit in my aunt's car (02) because it had an internal short and kept blowing fuses. there is a very good chance it is the factory unit.