Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord Audio Anomaly

Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Default Stereo Froze up

I have a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2 dr coupe which I purchased a few days ago. Today I was driving the car and the stereo froze up. The volume controls were working but I couldn't change any channels whether it was on FM, AM, XM and I couldn't dial any phone numbers on the bluetooth. The only thing working properly was playing music on the flash drive. I turned the car off and when I turned the car back on everything was working properly again. It sounds like it was a software problem. Any one else hear about this problem, or how to fix the issue?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Jaretr1
Sounds like a plausable explanation to me. There has to be some issue other than hardware causing the audio system to sound so bad.

What bothers me though then is why is there such a large disparity between phones as far as what phones can do bluetooth streaming audio, Pandora, AHa, text and email etc. There seem to be almost none (at least through Sprint) that can do all of the features the car can support. Some phones do some and not others, but none do all.
Regarding the large disparity between phones, that's actually not Honda's fault (entirely). Although Bluetooth is a standard, there are several different versions of it and manufacturers do not always implement every feature. Also, the same phone from a manufacturer is actually different across the carriers. Carriers can choose to offer, or not offer, features the phone is capable of. It's a real pain in the butt for both users and manufacturers.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM

I wasn't using the bluetooth at the time. I was changing channels on the radio

Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Jaretr1
I am wondering, as new smart phones come out, how is Honda, or us as owners going to be able to get our cars updated to keep up with the new phones?
I was actually just thinking this morning "What happens when Pandora is updated or changed in any way. How is Honda going to keep up with those changes (if they do occur)?"

I found this buried in the Honda OwnerLink section for those with iPhones. They are saying the USB is the preferred method to connect rather than Bluetooth? You can set the default connection type from the Pandora or AHA menus. I have my default set to USB, since I drive around with my iPhone connected for power. I have found a bug with this though. When you first start the car, make sure you have Pandora or AHA open, the plug in the phone. Music will play for bit, but then it "loses connection" and you have to unplug/plug the phone back in and all is good.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/model/c...nnect_tips.pdf

Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

strange I haven't had any problems with my stereo system YET.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I purchased a 2013 Accord EX-L 2 weeks ago. A couple of days ago I started experiencing the schreehing noise coming from the speakers, especially on higher music notes. Also, I have problems with HFL. Sometimes a call is great! I can hear everything clearly. Then the very next call will be garbled and broken up. I also cannot get the entire contact list downloaded. They persons name and number will show up on the Call History. However, the name will not show when I receive a call, only the number. Then there is the LAG when you work through the menus. Sometimes it seems the whole system is locked up.

I called the salesman today. He checked with Service and they have not heard anything about updates to the system. Of course, they invite me to drop the car off so it can be checked out. They say they will be glad to give a me ride to where ever I need to go. I don't think they want to drive me the 55 miles I drive each way to work while they play with the car.

If anyone has information concerning when a fix will be out for the car I would appreciate the info. Then I call the dealer and get the car fixed.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:52 PM

I have had my 2013 accord ex-l for about a month and it just started this. Twice, both times without bluetooth connected, the radio stayed on the fm channel I was listening to, tough screen buttons to change channel would beep and visually show I selected it, but no change. If I tried to change source, it would change but nothing worked. Back to fm and the one channel was still playing, only volume seemed to work. Only fix was turn off car, then back on, and it worked again. Very frustrating.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM

This is it!

After reading that I'm not the only one who has experienced problems with the radio, if Honda makes a recall to replace the devices in the 2013 Accord model, then I won't be satisfied by having the same one...I will "demand" the GPS feature to be included... sheessshhh...!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Has anyone heard when Honda will have a software update for the audio system? It truly a shame that the audio system on my wife's 2012 Odyssey works better than on my 2013 Accord! It is getting to the point of being completely unbearable. I cannot use the Hands-Free to make calls with my phone anymore. The sound quality is horrible. Every call is garbled and can barely be understood. The system still will not load my address book, The caller ID does not work properly, I am getting the screeching from the speakers more frequently, etc. It is not what I expected when I purchased the vehicle.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM

I've also had the same radio issues mentioned here. I called American Honda regarding the radio issue and the first person i spoke with indicated that an update should be available around Feb. However, when I called back with another question on how to identify the software version installed, the second Honda rep said they have not received any reports of radio issues. I informed him that there are at least 4 videos on utube documenting this issue:

I guess the best thing to do would be to contact the dealership around mid Feb to see if they are aware of any rumored update.

To be fair, I'm certain that Honda will identify and resolve the issue. The Accord is a key car for them and the 2013 is one of the best riding cars I've driven. I'm waiting to bring this up with the dealer until the first service on the car... figure I'm still getting used to the car and will note anything that comes up instead of multiple trips to the dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Audio Anomaly