Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM

Wow!! So glad I found this blog today... I have a 2013 Honda Accord V-6 Nav and love the performance but hate the bluetooth and stereo. I have a 2007 Honda Civic Si which is the best car I ever owned... the stereo in it blows the doors off the Accord... bought the Accord on the reputation and experience with the Civic Si... traded a 2012 Audi Q7 for the Accord. I have had the "module" replaced for the HFL and no resolution to the issues. I was ready this week to go to the dealer and ask for my money back... but no car performs like this one for $30k. I guess I will have some patience and hope a solution is found soon. I actually got to speak with a tech from HFL with the service tech in the car. The computer software glitches abound.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by jlpevv
Wow!! So glad I found this blog today... I have a 2013 Honda Accord V-6 Nav and love the performance but hate the bluetooth and stereo. I have a 2007 Honda Civic Si which is the best car I ever owned... the stereo in it blows the doors off the Accord... bought the Accord on the reputation and experience with the Civic Si... traded a 2012 Audi Q7 for the Accord. I have had the "module" replaced for the HFL and no resolution to the issues. I was ready this week to go to the dealer and ask for my money back... but no car performs like this one for $30k. I guess I will have some patience and hope a solution is found soon. I actually got to speak with a tech from HFL with the service tech in the car. The computer software glitches abound.
Welcome to HAF!

You're very right. The computer software glitches do abound. I am anxiously awaiting the software update in the hopes that much of it will be cleared up.

As I peruse other forums, I am becoming convinced that the problems with the stereo audio quality are linked to the ANC. I am reading of others who have (bravely) snipped the white wire in the ANC/HFL harness up front, or just disconnecting the ANC mic in the rear roof section. They are noticing big differences in audio quality once ANC is disabled. There is a way to temporarily disable ANC in diag mode (on the lower end, non-touch screen '13 Accord), but that option appears to be missing if you have a touch screen model. Anyway, I haven't been able to test this for my own ears as I am not ready to snip wires or risk wrinkling my headliner just to disable ANC.

Anyone else tried this yet?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 AM

My dealer replaced the nav system wiring harness and positive battery lead, but of course I still have this issue - the Nav reboots itself randomly but also at the same very spots time after time... Again leading me to think that it's a nav software issue.

I am very disappointed that a 2 week old car would already have to be in the shop 2 times. If anyone has more definitive information about when a software update will be available, please post... Thanks.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

sorry to hear about your frustrations. note that Honda is not responsible for the nav or stereo system as those systems are done by companies like Pioneer and Panasonic.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM

2013 EX-L V6 (no nav), ~800mi, problems are:
-HORRIBLE sound quality as noted by others.
-Volume and bass response is much higher on CD's than on ANY other source, but still not up to par
-Screeching sound on all audio sources, happened twice , cleared by turning off the vehicle
-Audio system complete lockup while playing music, cleared by turning off the vehicle
Non audio:
-Seat heat is nonexistent on LO and not much on HIGH
-Tranny seems a bit confused from time to time but I am just now getting my foot into it after taking it easy on the car initially

For certain, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the V6, it's a blast to drive. But the audio is unacceptable. As soon as I document the symptoms on video , I'll be stopping back to dealer to get on record and go from there.

Last edited by ski daddy; 01-20-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM

Just found this forum today. It's full of great info.

We bought a new 2013 EXL V6 Coupe no nav, about 3 weeks ago for my wife.
We love the car but as many on here have stated, the sound system sucks!!
When I adjusted the sub from from the lowest point to the highest, I could hardly tell a difference.

I tried xm, pandora and my ipod thinking the problem might be at the source. But they all were equally as bad. I can't believe they call this a premium sound system.
I'm driving her 2006 EX V6 Coupe for work and the audio quality is way better. It's a shame that a 7 year old car has a better sound system than a 13.
I also have a 2011 Ford F 150 with the premium sound system including a sub. It blows this one out of the water.

We're very disappointed that the sound quality is so bad.

Hopefully Honda comes up with a fix.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Default Honda is responsible

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
sorry to hear about your frustrations. note that Honda is not responsible for the nav or stereo system as those systems are done by companies like Pioneer and Panasonic.

keep hope alive,

There are three rules when dealing with a customer:
1. The customer is always right

2. The customer is always right
3. The customer is always right

The argument that a sourced component is not Honda’s responsibility does nothold water. Using that rationale, only the engine and chassis would be Honda’s responsibilityas everything else is sourced by a supplier: seats, tires, suspension, and justabout everything else. Your statement makes me think you work in UG4.

Courts have upheld that the manufacturer sets the specification for partsand components and is liable to test them to ensure proper function. There is a long history of this. Mostrecently Toyota dealt with a sticky accelerator that the NHTSA concluded wascaused by a faulty component made by a supplier. Toyota ended up with the fineand the recall, not the supplier.

Whether Honda didn’t do enough testing, knew of this issue but didn’t care,or was totally ignorant does not allow for the damages they have caused. Bluetooth, navigation, and car stereos havebeen around a long time and there is no reason Honda shouldn’t be able to getit right. Can you imagine hearing a great song on the radio while driving onthe freeway, cranking the volume up and then getting a phone call where you cannothear the caller and the cannot hear you? Then the navi locks up, the radiobecomes stuck on the cranked up volume, and you’re stuck pulling over on a hightraffic road to shut off your car so that you can reboot the system? So thenext time this happens to one of us, we’ll call Pioneer or Panasonic? Are youkidding me? They already got their money from Honda and don’t give a hoot.

I just read in consumer reports how great the 2013 Accord is. That tells methey didn’t test it very well. Waituntil Car and Driver or Road and Track gets a long term tester with the sameissues. I bet Honda will wake up then.

Still having issues and regret spending over $30,000 for the 2013 AccordEX-L V6 with Navi.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
With all due respect, and not to pile on, I think we are keeping hope alive that Honda will correct this problem. However, Honda is solely responsible for everything about that car with perhaps the exception of the tires, which are warranted by their respective manufacturers. My guess is if someone had a tire issue, they would actually go back to the dealer to get that addressed as well.

Alpine is the manufacturer for the audio and nav systems in the car. I believe Alpine has been supplying Honda with Nav systems for quite a while. My friends 2007 Pilot's NAV system was Alpine. My dad's TL NAV system is Alpine. However, in the TL, the audio system is manufactured by Panasonic (ELS Audio). The speakers in the Accord, at least with the "premium" audio system are manufactured by a company called Foster Electronics (I beleive, I may be wrong, but my research seems to point in this direction). Foster does not make direct to consumer products so no one may have heard of the brand before. However, I firmly believe the speakers are not the problem, but the electronics are. Keep in mind this is not an off the shelf unit. Its design is more than likely to a spec originated by Honda using Alpine guts. Our Imid interface, with or without NAV contains a lot of car controls.

Well the fix was supposed to happen by now, I have not heard from my dealer. I have been to busy to even worry about it quite honestly, but that does not mean I am letting it go. I have not had any of the other issues besides the unnacceptable audio quality again (that persists of course). Perhaps my car fixed its bugs itself.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Wow! Thanks to this forum I have not wasted $30,000 on a 2013 accord. I'm trading in my 2002 chevy blazer with $150,000 miles on it to get something smaller and more fuel efficient. After researching every possibility I landed on the accord. But a lot of the reasons I chose it was all the features that seem to be malfunctioning. Seems like Honda's lack of testing and research has lost them a customer. Have never bought Honda (Chevy, toyota, and Ford) and was gonna make a switch. Not now, not with all these issues! I'm not dropping $30k on a car that mostly works... Thanks but no thanks honda! Back to the car search for me it seems!
IF (and only IF) honda does create a fix and you all are satisfied then I will consider Honda. I will be checking back here to see how that fix works out. In the mean time... Thanks to their lack of attention to detail and rushing out a new product. Honda lost a new customer and a possible convert!

Last edited by goodguy; 01-22-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

UPDATE: I actually experienced some of the audio issues while I was at the dealership last week. I went to pick up my plates and once I got out to the car it started having problems. I was able to take it immediately to service so that a tech could observe some of the troubles we've all experienced. I took video of the problems using my iPhone 5 and I will post those videos to YouTube shortly.

My service adviser observed the issues and had a couple of other Honda techs and/or advisers observe the issues. I asked them about the patch that's supposed to come out in the next month or so. They told me that the patch will only address iPhone 5 connectivity issues. I hope they are wrong since the car has issues outside of that specific phone.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth