Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth

Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM

Wow, glad to have found this forum! I've had my 2013 accord exl nav for about 3weeks and man, most of the problems listed have been driving me crazy.
When using Bluetooth, all my audio cuts out. This has happened 4 times now. Only solution is to shut off car. Not very handy when navigation is running and your on the highway.
The navigation lags two to three seconds...ridiculous at this lint in time for crying out loud.
And the worst is the navi computer actually crashing and rebooting repeatedly. I've actually found an address that causes this symptom on demand...and will show it to the service tech when I bring in the car next time...very disturbing. The service rep did not have any records of any of these problems. They said my battery was faulty and replaced it, noting that the current has to be consistent to the navi. This sounded bogus to me, I feel this is really a software prob. My other problem is that the transmission seems not to be downshifting at certain speeds when your slightly depress the gas. I've found this to be the worst at cruising at around 35 mph, it starts to "growl", and you can feel the straining... The only solution is to punch it, thus shooting ahead like a rocket...I'm wondering if anyone has this happening? Any way, will get the navi stuff on record by calling Honda. Thanks so much for the info. Bet, Pbass

Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 AM

@Pbass:
EXACTLY the problems I am having, as I mentioned in an earlier post....the audio completely locks. And, BTW, I have a Youtube video of the transmission issue too. The car not only slows at 30 and 17 mph due to downshifting, but also shifts very irregularly at the same speeds when you depress the gas:
You're not alone!!

Last edited by rengel; 02-03-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pbass
sounded bogus to me, I feel this is really a software prob. My other problem is that the transmission seems not to be downshifting at certain speeds when your slightly depress the gas. I've found this to be the worst at cruising at around 35 mph, it starts to "growl", and you can feel the straining... The only solution is to punch it, thus shooting ahead like a rocket...I'm wondering if anyone has this happening? Bet, Pbass
Not to insult your intelligence but are you sure your big green "ECON" button isn't depressed? That would cause some serious sluggishness.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Default Audio Distorted / Screeching Sound

Here are some issues I am having with my new 2013 Honda Accord EX-L.

1. When backing out of driveway the camera display is on; as soon as I switch to drive position the whole screen blacks out and remains that way although radio is playing but no display. Only way to correct is to turn radio or car off. Throughout rest of day this does not re-occur.
2. Low tire pressure warning light has come on a couple times during snowy weather– checked tire pressure in all tires and they were all good?
3. Audio issue – distorted / static / screeching sound coming from speakers – all stations AM,FM,XM,CD,etc. the fix is to turn car off and back on. This only happens occasionally (maybe 25 times so far).
4. My last comment is not a bug but noteworthy. The audio sound quality is poor, very little Bass sound.
I have contacted Honda Customer Service at 800-999-1009 and on Twitter, they each claimed they had never heard of these issues. The phone customer service gave me a case number and said to bring it to a dealership for diagnoses. My problem is that Audio issue is a sporadic problem and not consistent. They cannot and will not do anything if the issues cannot be replicated.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Pbass. I noticed your question and have the exact same issue (quoted below) with my EXLV6 w/Nav I picked up Jan 31st, a demo model with 5000 miles.

"My other problem is that the transmission seems not to be downshifting at certain speeds when your slightly depress the gas. I've found this to be the worst at cruising at around 35 mph, it starts to "growl", and you can feel the straining... The only solution is to punch it, thus shooting ahead like a rocket...I'm wondering if anyone has this happening?"

This is very annoying to me and give me great concern, especially since this car had been driveen by the dealer for about 3 months with implies it is not something they were able to fix, as I am sure they also noticed it. Anyway, I will be taking it in to have it looked at.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Rengel, thanks for the video! Yes, that's it. I've been doing some searching in other forums and now I'm not sure it's the trans...it indeed could be running 3cylinders causing the vibration? Russ, I did some testing yesterday and it did not matter if the Eco button was on or off, bad vibration and growling at 34-36 and 46-47 mph, also very annoying while trying to cruise at speeds around 65-68. I'm going for the Lemon law on this...34,000. car, not right. Been driving Hondas for years, and this is not what I expected. Will be taking some vids this week, will post. Also will start getting all documented with dealer and service department. Thanks guys, Pbass

Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM

<<4. My last comment is not a bug but noteworthy. The audio sound quality is poor, very little Bass sound.
I have contacted Honda Customer Service at 800-999-1009 and on Twitter, they each claimed they had never heard of these issues. The phone customer service gave me a case number and said to bring it to a dealership for diagnoses. My problem is that Audio issue is a sporadic problem and not consistent. They cannot and will not do anything if the issues cannot be replicated.>>

Why every time someone calls Honda, many of us have called with the same complaints, its always the first time they have heard it? Why are they lying on the phone? That bothers me.

Fortunately I have not had any transmission issues. Is it the smoothest transmission on the market? Not by a long shot. But under full throttle the shifts are quick and firm and I prefer that over the timing lagged slow smooth shifting. Drive a Mustang V6 with an automatic and you will see what I am referring to. That's a horrendous transmission. Annoyances with the transmission come more from the programming of it. In manual mode, it will shift for you, it does not hold the gear. In my dad's TL, in Manual mode, it stays in gear and even allows the engine to hit the rev limiter, not in the Accord though. Also, in manual mode, unless you are full throttle, it instantly shifts to 2nd gear, doesnt stay in first.

I have not experienced any of the other issues since the first month of ownership. But the sound quality still sucks and that is my primary issue. It also does bother me, as Don Crowe has pointed out, that the Nav maps are already several years old. Its a brand new car, the Nav option was $2k, why arent the maps up to date? And then Honda is going to send us a flyer in a year or two offering us the opportunity to purchase a map update for $200? That bothers me, and when I take the car back in to the dealership, I am going to make an issue of that as well.

I think many of us are probably more critical of this car because usually Honda's are so good and this car drives head over heels above any other car in the segment. Just wish they would fix these issues already and make all of us happy.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM

I am curious, has anyone thought to or actually escalated this to higher ups in Honda? Its quite easy to find the Executive Vice President in charge of North American Sales and Service with uncle Google. I think I am going to send this person an email after I revisit the dealership. Once I find out the "patch" is out, I will go back to the dealership.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Keep the updates coming guys! Great info!!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Called Honda today to make sure my complaint about the stereo systems poor sound quality was on record.
The woman I talked to was very nice and didn't give me the "that's the first we heard of that problem" bs. As a matter of fact, she said they recently got an e-mail about the issue and it said Honda would have a fix for it yet this month. So I guess we'll see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth