Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Hi Bee,
I agree there are certain things you shouldn't be doing while driving, I just didn't understand why Honda allowed the driver to axcess speed dial and not contact list when it takes the same amount of steps for each. By the way mine still has not locked up again sense I got back in my home town. One thing is clear though, you must have a very good service dept.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Don, et.al.,
I'm 2 weeks into my Honda Accord and am seeing the same issue with the stereo locking up, however, I don't have the Navigation system. For what it is worth, I'm running an iPhone 4s. While the contact list issue may be Droid specific, the locking up issue doesn't seem to be. I've scheduled an appt to have the car looked at but am not optimistic - esp. after reading these threads. No answers yet on this side, but thought I'd offer up a few more data points.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Hi et.
Sence I got back from my trip to Texas I have not had the lockup issue untill yesterday and on my way back from the lake it did it again. Like going to Texas I was in a roaming area. That appears to be the only common factor. By the way be glad you didn't pay for the package to get Nav. I get more upset every time I use it because it is so basic. I am going over and have a sit down with my dealer this evening and my bigest concern is that I come off sounding like nothing but a complainer but none of the things I paid extra for work correctly. Let me know how your meeting goes.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Default Locking Up

Maybe it's just cooincidence, but It seems as though I get less radio lock-ups since I turned off the navigation voice. I found it annoying that the nav voice would come out of only one speaker with the radio on, and then the radio coming out of all speakers as the voice stopped. That was a big tech blunder how they set that up, but in any case, I seem to be getting less situations where the radio locks up as a result of turning that voice off.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM

One more general comment... the response time of the computer is very slow. Any word on perhaps that getting fixed with a software update like Ford did with their system?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Default Nav/phone locking soud up

I have not had a lock up problem yet with the Nav or the phone. This is my first Honda vehicle (Accord 2013 just picked it up on Oct 30!). I have had outstanding service at all the Honda dealers I've had to deal with so far.
Here is why (this is totally true story):
Traveling from Edmonton, Alberta to go to Chilliwack, British Columbia. That's about 11 hrs through the Rocky Mountains using Hwy 16 then Hwy 5(those who know that road know that it is very unpredictable weather all the way). We left at 6AM on November 7 in a raging blizzard. I could not believe how good the car handled in 8" of snow and sleet! During the trip all the way to Kamloop (BC) we encountered all sort of weather; from icy rain to light snow to dry pavement....The car did just fine in all condition. Then just as we were getting out of Merritt....a stray dog on the side of the highway sprinted across the road. The dog didn't make it....The bumper and front grid on the driver's side was all broken up. I called for Honda's road side assistance. They were very professional and helpful but the towing had to be back to Kamloop (about 45 min drive the wrong way!). While waiting for the towing, another towing truck stopped to ask if we were ok. This guy looked at our car and fixed it up so we could keep driving toward Chilliwack (no charge!). The next day we went to the Honda dealer in Chilliwack. They inspected the damage and said it would be good to make the trip back to Edmonton. They even put the car on the computer to make sure there was nothing vital broken on the car. No charge again! On the way back to Edmonton getting into Kamloop the tire pressure warning on the dashboard lit up.....Found the dealer in Kamloop and they took us in right away, checked the pressure and filled the tire to proper PSI and sent us on our way home. (no charge!) They said that this can happen when you go from hot to cold or cold to hot weather. We did make it home safe. That car went through a lot in a week. I've own vehicles for over 20 years and never had such good service! All this to say that I'm confident that all the little electronic glitches on the car will be investigated and resolved by Honda, we just need to make sure they are aware of them and give them the time to find a solution. P.S. Services are not always free in Canada, but it's nice to know that there are still lots of people willing to help out when you're in a bind!

Last edited by The Bee; 11-15-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Default Radio Lock Up / System Performance

I am also confident that Honda has the skill necessary to fix the performance and radio lock up issues. My previous car was also a Honda Accord. I was one of the first people to buy a 2003 Accord. That was a new generation car just as the 2013 model is. There are always glitches when a new generation car comes out and it's just a matter of time until Honda works out those. The electronics lockup and performance problem in the 2013 model is small in comparision to the 2003 model (which was a transmission flaw causing a recall...but they fixed it...replaced my transmission, and I then happily kept my car for 10 years and drove it 200,000 miles). I'm quite happy with the mechanical performance in the 2013 Accord. I just hope Honda engineers are working on these small software issues and will be out with a fix for us early adopters of the new Accord.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM

I agree, Honda will come up with a fix. I am just concerned that I am having so many problems with all the electronics. My blutooth locked up again this last weekend and it took out everythig except the nav. I hsd no sound from anything.
The things that bother me the most are the things Honda did that can't be fixed and are just plain cheep. Nav. functions that arn't as good as a $100.00 aftermarket I use to have, the over rating of the power of the prem. radio, it can't be 360 watts, it must be P-P and not RMS, the seven speakers that are just cheep OEM and not prem. the heated seats that are only heated in the center and not on the sides and take 5 miles to warm up. Compaired to other cars that I have or have had with these options my new Honda is not what I expected. One funny thing, JD Powers set me a survey yesterday.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 AM

I am glad to see I am not the only one who thinks the 360w "premium sound system" is crap. To me it almost seems more like an electronics or amplification issue than a speaker issue. Perhaps Honda is working on that as well. I had no problem pairing my phone. However, I cannot get Pandora to work and it should with my phone. Also, Aha is sketchy at best. That might have to do with Sprint's pathetic 3g signal than the actual system though. Aside from this, mechanically, I love the car and the way it rides and handles.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM

I have had my new 2013 Accord EXL w Navi for 3 weeks. Great drive ... but the elecronics issues I have seen thus far:
1) Occassionally the Navi and radio screens are black at vehicle startup. Will power on unexpectantly while driving.
2) Not happy with certain Navi functions not being available with the vehicle moving. I find voice recongition for Navi nonfunctional. Give me the option to choose not to lose Navi functions while the vehicle is moving. I think there are much more safety issues with struggling with the voice recognition system repeatedly for long periods of time with no success versus using the menu system. While driving ... selected Place Category - selected Community - had to say Next to scroll to Schools on the next screen - selected Schools - selected City Vicinity - had to use voice to find my city - the system could not recognize any city that I spoke - the screen would show "searching" forever. Had to use the back button each time to get out of this. NONFUNCTIONAL!
3) My maps already dated off the lot and no lifetime map upgrades ... after paying $2000+ for Navi very disappointing.
4) Also experience the Navi time to arrival way off

Last edited by domon; 11-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth