Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2016 Honda Accord Speaker Upgrade

Old 05-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Default 2016 Honda Accord Speaker Upgrade

Hello. Wanted to jump in on this thread as I'm the happy new owner of a 2016 Accord sport.

I was wondering if replacing the four factory speakers with better speakers would make much of a difference in sound. I'm not terribly unhappy with the sound as is but it's a step down from the system that was in my 2014 Mazda6 GT. After reading some of "keep hope alives" posts I'm not sure if I'm the person who should do the install itself.
So my question would be if I wanted to spend no more than $500 would I be able to upgrade the sound quality of this accord and what advice could anyone give me on this.
Thank you in advance for any advice

Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Michael Baker
Hello. Wanted to jump in on this thread as I'm the happy new owner of a 2016 Accord sport.

I was wondering if replacing the four factory speakers with better speakers would make much of a difference in sound. I'm not terribly unhappy with the sound as is but it's a step down from the system that was in my 2014 Mazda6 GT. After reading some of "keep hope alives" posts I'm not sure if I'm the person who should do the install itself.
So my question would be if I wanted to spend no more than $500 would I be able to upgrade the sound quality of this accord and what advice could anyone give me on this.
Thank you in advance for any advice
Hi, and welcome. I moved your post into a new thread since it's a different vehicle with very different challenges.

I have 2014 Accord Sport. I've done a lot of testing and have some extensive modifications to my own car in the quest for a competitive sound quality system. my build log link in my signature is worth reading if you haven't already.

The biggest challenge with a simple speaker upgrade is in the install details. Getting good seals to the door panels is a challenge. Even with the Scosche mounting adapters you have to add foam gasketing to get a seal with the door panel.

Even with the best speakers, the factory head unit is woeful. It has internal DSP that removes bass and filters the response to match factory speakers. Once you change them, you change the EQ need and it can sound worse.

The best approach on a budget is to get an amplifier to power the new speakers and focus only on the front. buy a component speaker set and use the EX-L tweeter mounts (i order them from hondapartsdeals.com). run new speaker wiring to an amplifier (can mount under the passenger seat or in the trunk). the amplifier should have high-level inputs and bass boost to overcome the factory DSP. This approach can be had for $500 or less including materials, if you install it yourself.

installation is very easy in our cars. everything is like legos - comes apart and goes back together very easily. i highly recommend doing it yourself if you have the tools, a location, and the patience.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 05-26-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:34 AM

Thank you very much for your advice. I'm considering doing it myself. Hopefully can get all the info I need from your posts.
Do have a question. Found a Alpine - Power Pack 180W Class D Bridgeable Multichannel Amplifier with High-Pass Filter -$150 also a JBL - BassPro SL 8" Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure with Integrated 125W Amp $250. Best buy will pick up the installation if I buy their products. I figured they can run the amp to the current speakers and install the small subwoffer and I can later go in and try and do the speakers myself.
So my question is do you think these are decent upgrades?
I've only had this accord for less than a week and I'm getting more unimpressed each day from the sound quality.
Look forward to any thoughts you could give. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

I am not impressed with the Alpine KTP-455U power pack, if that is the one you're thinking of.

You want to consider an external amp that has more controls.

You won't have a location to get a signal to the Subwoofer unless you add a component that splits the audio signal. That could be an amp with RCA outputs that can get their signal from high level inputs. Or you can run a LOC to feed the speaker amp and then pre-out to the sub amp.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. Would you recommend an amp that meets this criteria and a good value.
Thank you again

Old 05-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

i can look through options this weekend.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 AM

Keep hope alive
Ive decided to do,this myself and have a couple of questions
Looking for the tweeter assembly you mentioned. Is this the one and fits my 2016
SPEAKER ASSY., TWEETER (PREMIUM) (FOSTER)$26.16Part number: 39120-TV0-E61

Also do I need L.O.C. if the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 punch has high level inputs?

Thanks for your time

Old 03-17-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
i can look through options this weekend.
Its been a while, but interested to know if you ever came across any low cost/basic options.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jdavi090
Its been a while, but interested to know if you ever came across any low cost/basic options.
Thanks for following up. Last year was hectic and I got behind on a few threads.

In the time since, I have used the KTP-445 in a vintage car on some DD components and it did ok. It is better than a standard (non-premium) factory amp.

For a 2013 and up Accord with the base model head unit (non-touchscreen), just adding an amp doesn't correct the hideous factory EQ and high pass filter. I recommend adding DSP in front of whatever amp is chosen to flatten the response. These base models are more complicated to get sounding good.

For models with the touchscreen, bypassing the factory amp is a good solution and a KTP-445 would actually work well as a basic upgrade.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
Thanks for following up. Last year was hectic and I got behind on a few threads.

In the time since, I have used the KTP-445 in a vintage car on some DD components and it did ok. It is better than a standard (non-premium) factory amp.

For a 2013 and up Accord with the base model head unit (non-touchscreen), just adding an amp doesn't correct the hideous factory EQ and high pass filter. I recommend adding DSP in front of whatever amp is chosen to flatten the response. These base models are more complicated to get sounding good.

For models with the touchscreen, bypassing the factory amp is a good solution and a KTP-445 would actually work well as a basic upgrade.
Thanks, I've had the 13 Sport for a while now with the base model head unit and have been looking for a simple upgrade to start with. I've followed some of the posts and seen the complications with getting it to sound good. So I was just looking for something simple I could install or at least know the products and the way it should be installed if I take it to someone in regards to the ANC and other issues specific to the model.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Accord Speaker Upgrade