Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Basic CD Player/Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Default Basic CD Player/Radio Installation

I want to install a cd player/radio in my 95 accord. How would I go about doing this? I don't wanna rush out and buy one before I even know if it will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated ^.^

Old 05-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'll move this over to A/V Elect. where you're more likely to get a good answer. This DIY section is for long written procedures.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'll move this over to A/V Elect. where you're more likely to get a good answer. This DIY section is for long written procedures.
ahh ok thanks, sorry I'm new to the forum :P

Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Several things are required, but the process is very simple.

First, you need tools - wire strippers, crimpers, cutters, screw drivers, socket set, etc. You also need butt connectors or closed end connectors to mate the new wires.

You'll need a mounting kit and a wiring harness (Scoshe or Metra). you won't be cutting ANY factory wires.

You'll need to disconnect the battery negative terminal before you start the work, and only reconnect it after your done and reassembled. To figure out how to remove the factory radio you can do some online searches, buy a Haynes or Chilton manual, or buy from a retailer that provides that information.

For someone with little experience, Crutchfield is your BEST option. They will include the necessary mounting kits, wiring harness, and vehicle specific instructions. They also provide great customer service should you have an issue during installation. You also get a warranty, something very few other online retailers actually have (since few are authorized retailers).

Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

The process goes like this:

Get the new head unit and wiring harness. At the comfort of your work bench or kitchen table, assemble the vehicle harness to the radio harness. Wiring colors are consistent, so just match them up. Orange wires are for illumination and may not be used - verify with the specific vehicle wiring instructions. Spend time making good connections with crimp connectors. Ensure no copper wires are visible, give each connection a pull test, and then use electrical tape to protect the bunch. I also tape the power (ignition = red, constant = yellow) separately for further protection from a short. Don't just twist and tape wires - it's not secure. Crimp connectors are must. You could also solder and heat shrink if you're comfortable with that.

Next, assemble the mounting kit per the provided instructions. The plastic kit breaks easily, so be careful. Get the radio cage secured to the mounting kit, and insert the head unit. Check for overall fit and finish - checking there are no gaps, etc. If the kit allows you to support the rear of the radio - do this now.

Note that some mounting kits use the metal ISO mounts for the radio. If so, you'll need to remove the factory radio before you can finish the kit installation.

Remove the battery negative.

Now you can remove the existing head unit . Remove the outer radio trim (may or may now house A/C controls, vents, hazard buttons, etc.) and notice this may be held with clips or screws. With the radio mounting bolts exposed, remove the bolts and remove the radio. Unplug the harness(es) and antenna. If you need the factory radio mounts, remove it now.

Now you can do a test fit of the new head unit and mounting kit. If everything looks like it fits well, then connect the harness you made to the factory radio harness (in car) and new head unit harness socket. Plug in the antenna (Honda shouldn't require an antenna adapter) and insert the head unit.

Bolt up the new kit using the factory radio mounting bolts. Re-install the dash trim, connecting all harnesses as you go, and all screws.

Reconnect battery negative terminal and test.

Since you used the harness adapter, all wiring should be correct. If something doesn't work - double check the wiring connections you made.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

i personally avoid Sony car audio products. I don't like their head units, speakers, amps, or subs... not on every level. i don't like the build quality, the sound, the controls, anything. But that's just my personal opinion. They had products back in the day that were decent, a few were great.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 08-19-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 AM

I recently purchased a used 2007 V50 and it has the basic cd player that won't read mp3 files and there is no line-in jack. Do you think it would be possible to find the upgraded cd player from another V50 in a junkyard and swap it out? My only concern is that the radio console in the car controls all types of other things and I'd hate to screw it up.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

the V50 is a Volvo, correct? this a Honda forum so we mostly stick to Honda vehicles.

like most vehicles, you should be able to swap head units with a nicer model. your best bet is a Volvo dealership, or a Volvo forum (i'm sure there is at least one).

Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by robenshoods
First, you need tools - wire strippers, crimps, cutters, screwdrivers, socket set, etc., you need to butt joints or the closed end of the wire connected to a new mate.
You need a mounting kit and wiring harness. You will not cut any factory wires.
Solder is superior to crimp and just as easy for an experienced installer.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:43 AM

i got a quick question, i had my cousin install my Sony xplode radio a few days ago and it works BUT if i set a radio station, set the audio setting, or am in the middle of a CD it will forget. and i have to reset everything when I restart my car. got any clue on what it might be??

Quick Reply: Basic CD Player/Radio Installation