Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Changing Rear speakers (06 LX special ed. sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
hmankman
Unregistered
Default Changing Rear speakers (06 LX special ed. sedan)

Well i'm actually a newbie to all this but I wondering if I need anything extra that i have to buy in order to install the speakers that I bought today. The speakers are JBL GTO926 series.

Like do i need harnesses?! wires?? or can i just pop them in?

also, lol, how would i remove the grill on top of the speakers? I tried wedging a screwdriver in it but i was scared i might break it so I didn't apply any force? Is that how i would take it off though?

I would appreciate it if you guys could help me out and lemme know what to do!

Old 07-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Default RE: Changing Rear speakers (06 LX special ed. sedan)

Well, I don't know too much about the install, but I do know there should be 3 screws (I think) for each speaker in the trunk. You have to unscrew them to get the stock grilles off. Aside from that I got nothing.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:13 AM
hmankman
Unregistered

really? see i looked at the screws in the trunk but I didn't look closely, but from what i gathered the bottoms of the screws were in the trunk. So i thought the top would be in the car(where i actually unscrew it), behind the seat.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:42 AM

I think the screws you are looking at are the screws that screw down the actual speaker, which are on the sides of the speaker (on top) under the grille. This is second hand knowledge so I very well could be off but, take a close look and see if you see another set.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:40 PM

usually the speakers are attached to the grill and the grill is screwed down, with the ends in the trunk. So you take off the grill first, by unscrewing in the trunk, then either the whole unit comes out or its leaves the speakers screws exposed on the rear dash and you take them out that way. Then you disconnect the speaker wires, and simply pop in the new speakers and reattach the wires. You might have to use a small amount of speaker wire to connect the OEM speaker connection to an aftermarket. Make sure you maintain polarity(+-). Let me know if you have any questions

Old 07-19-2006, 02:05 PM
hmankman
Unregistered

Ok, but now i have another newbie question []

i was thinking about buying These pioneers from walmart instead of JBL's i saw earlier, but the drawing on the box have like the speakers put into like a woofer box mounted on the roof of the trunk??? do i have to do that? cant i just place these 3-way speakers in place of the old ones? or do i have to do all that?

Old 08-05-2006, 01:18 AM

Wow, I wouldn't think you'd have to mount any kind of woofer box in the trunk for these 6x9s. The real questino you should ask yourself, is when are you going to replace the fronts? The rears are only for surround fill and have very little to do with sound quality. They do add a touch of bass, but in essence, the factory OEM 120w stereo likely puts out only 10-15w per speaker. So adding an aftermarket speaker will not add much unless you're powering it. The OEM speakers are not complete junk, they use neodinium magnets (they're supposed to be small - don't assumme small magnet = junk) and the factory speakers are designed to run with less power to them.

The real issue with an OEM deck is the need for more and cleaner power. I'd recommend an amp and then speaker replacement, but thats just me. Some people recommend speakers first... Well, if you're one of those people, look at the front speakers first. The fronts are the ones that develop your soundstage and imaging. Your ears were designed facing forward for a reason... Work with what god gave ya.

More power to ya and good luck..

ps. and if you get those fronts changed, post some pics... I just bought an 06 EX and am curious whats back there. Nobody seems to know.