Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help Please - Play CD's in a 2016 Pilot Touring

Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default Help Please - Play CD's in a 2016 Pilot Touring

I know, this is an Accord froum but cut me a little slack...please.

Background, I'm lost on new tech - still have an old flip phone and not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

Issue, I like my CD's and have a ton of them. However the 2016 Pilot Touring AWD I just got does not have a CD player ...really

So I'm trying to figure out how and what would be best to make this work. The audio unit has two or three inputs you can plug into it...USB ?, MP3? and HDMI ? - That might be for the rear screen. I can get more details if it helps.

What I'm looking for is somethiing decent I can transfer my CD's from a PC or something to and then plug into the car and listen/play them like a CD...being able to skip songs, change CD's, ect without much trouble.

I know this sounds strange but I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this type of stuff.

Please ask anyquestions needed and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Thanks

Last edited by poorman212; 06-29-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

no worry, bro! the HDMI is likely for displaying apps on the screen, specifically for navigation through your phone but with the display in the car.

the easiest option is go rip your CD's into Apple Lossless format and pick up a 160GB iPod Classic that you can just stash in the car. Should be capable of 200 full albums. The screen will display album artist, track name, and likely album art and the head unit will handle all controls. The iPod will plug into the USB jack using the cable supplied with the iPod.

the time consuming part will be transferring the songs to a PC through iTunes. you'll have to get the process started and just keep plugging albums into the PC until you've gone through your collection.

If you find you want more than 200 Albums on the iPod you can rip the CD's to 320kbps mp3 and sacrifice some fidelity. or buy another iPod.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

A much faster option is to have a smart phone with a data plan and let the car link wireless to the phone and play Pandora. This is a lower fidelity option but easier and doesn't require copying your CD's to your PC.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:00 PM

Or, as we've mentioned before... simply load music from your PC to a flash-stick, plug into car's USB and play through AUX

As an example of capacity: a 32gb flash will hold over 5,000 songs

Old 07-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks folks....I think I'll look into the iPod thing. I've "played" with iTunes a bit so leaning that way just because I' use to it. I like my music, not to KHA level but still, so keeping as much quality as I can is something else I should have noted. The system in the Pilot is a good one so I should be able to make a neighbor or two upset with me

I found another USB port inside the center console - which is a LARGE thing. So with this info I think I will keep it down there and out of sight. The other two under the unit can be used for other things.....cell charger, ect.

Again, thanks for the input/ideas.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

the iPod will retain folders. the USB stick may not retain artist folders so you navigate albums and not artists. it's what my 2014 does and it's annoying. maybe the latest HU handles nested folders?

Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
the iPod will retain folders. the USB stick may not retain artist folders so you navigate albums and not artists. it's what my 2014 does and it's annoying. maybe the latest HU handles nested folders?
I understand... it's a 'to each their own' kind of thing. Since I'm not interested in navigating artists or albums, I'd rather set the selection to random and allow it to play individual songs, hence the flash/USB arrangement works perfectly for me personally