Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 AM

Just relax, it will take some time but we will get it worked out, when a new design comes out the manufacture is very slow to release info and when they do it is usually incorrect at first, they invest a lot of money in the design and they try to keep us from modifying as long as possible. We have been in the high amp game since 85’ much of that time our units were only available through select audio dealers. Over the years we have seen alternators get more and more complicated and it is only going to get more difficult, soon the only option will be dual alternators, either under the hood or trunk mounted hydro-drive, but we are not there yet.

This is not the first alternator to have full ECU control, we have built many of them and we have built this one, works fine, but the ECU is not happy. We are working on a spoof-box to fool the ECU into thinking the stock alternator regulator is in play that takes time because we are not willing to risk frying a very expensive ECU. We have built many spoof-boxes over the years but never for a Honda because the bypass has been so effective. Soon as we have the ECU worked out we will produce the box, it is time consuming. The fact is if you need it right now your only option is dual alternator, and we are working on that as well.

All this lowering output on the alternator is damaging to the electrical system, but it will work in most cases until the warranty is expired. The reason why the do it is the pressure the government puts on the manufacture to make MPG numbers that are not realistic for the technology we have right now. The fact is an alternator at 12.8 volts needs less HP than one at 14.5 volts, and less HP gives you more MPG.

Hope that helps
Darren
Owner
Rush Power Systems

Last edited by redbull-1; 02-20-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Direct links removed. Please no direct advertising links unless you are a forum sponsor.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That's good to know that it can be done, hope a diy is found soon.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Has anyone had any progress on a bypass?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Just a monthly check-in to see if there's any updates.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sir (keep_hope_alive),

Since I see you've recently got a 2014 Accord, here's a circuit diagram if you're interested.

I had to cut and paste pieces to make the pdf, as it was a huge original file image.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ELD.pdf (540.4 KB, 1010 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Sir (keep_hope_alive),

Since I see you've recently got a 2014 Accord, here's a circuit diagram if you're interested.

I had to cut and paste pieces to make the pdf, as it was a huge original file image.
fantastic. you are an excellent resource. i will start looking at it.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Has there been any updates? It really sucks how hard many manufacturers are making this in newer cars.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

it looks like the new ELD is not much difference than the old ELD. i just need to put a scope on it to check for the signal waveform (to verify it's just DC) then evaluate the location to intercept and what values to use. it may be as simple as before, looking at the schematic.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Are the new Accords similar to the new Civics in this regard? With previous gen civics you could just unplug the ELD and be fine, Canadian and Japanese models didn't even have them I've been told. I unplugged mine in my previous car (08 civic) with no issues when I installed a H/O alt. From much of the talk on other boards you'd think this new charging system is going to destroy your entire car if you mess with it.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Anything new on this?

Quick Reply: Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass