Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing an aftermarket head unit in a 2003+ Accord EX?

Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 PM
JorgeRH
Unregistered
Default RE: Installing an aftermarket head unit in a 2003+ Accord EX?

So I know I made the crazy suggestion earlier, but I found a stereo by oris (I think) that's double DIN size and can take over a/c controls with touchscreen and everything. Anyway, I know about the expensive kit you're talking about and it allows for DIN sized stereo, but is there a kit that will allow for double DIN or has anyone heard of some custom fabrication that will the double DIN size (for DVD purposes of course). I am just wondering how hard/expensive this custom fabrication would be, I don't do vehicle surgery

Old 06-19-2006, 06:52 PM
JorgeRH
Unregistered

ALSO, since I'm asking stupid questions....The more expensive kit that was being talked about from Bestbuy, I heard that it WON'T work if you have a six-disc changer because it communitcates differently. The website says there is a plug-in for converting the dual climate controls to a single climate control, but it won't work because of a six-disc changer, any help/experience on this would be appreciated...please don't mind the idiocy of all this, I'm really making this stuff up on the fly.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: JorgeRH

So I know I made the crazy suggestion earlier, but I found a stereo by oris (I think) that's double DIN size and can take over a/c controls with touchscreen and everything. Anyway, I know about the expensive kit you're talking about and it allows for DIN sized stereo, but is there a kit that will allow for double DIN or has anyone heard of some custom fabrication that will the double DIN size (for DVD purposes of course). I am just wondering how hard/expensive this custom fabrication would be, I don't do vehicle surgery
ORIGINAL: JorgeRH

ALSO, since I'm asking stupid questions....The more expensive kit that was being talked about from Bestbuy, I heard that it WON'T work if you have a six-disc changer because it communitcates differently. The website says there is a plug-in for converting the dual climate controls to a single climate control, but it won't work because of a six-disc changer, any help/experience on this would be appreciated...please don't mind the idiocy of all this, I'm really making this stuff up on the fly.
anyone know about any of this?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Hi, I have a question. After replacing the stock head unit with an aftermarket one, do the volume controls still work on the steering wheel?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

if you get a head unit that is compatible and get the module that makes them work they do. will it work out of the box? no.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Correct. The PAC SWI-Jack works with a variety of aftermarket head units.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM

marked for later

Old 01-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Default Install tips - 2003 Honda EX - Metra 99-7862, PAC SWI-RC, Sony

First of all, Crutchfield is awesome! They pulled together ‘most’ of the parts for me and offered help when we encountered some of the problems below.
We have a few suggestions for those installing the Metra 99-7862 kit, i.e. install the new radio in the pocket location under the radio of my 2003 Honda Accord EX. First, I would definitely NOT remove the old radio and AC vent. You can remove the radio/AC main plug (blue on my 2003) and wiggle it out for access to the plug. Note, the same is true for the radio antenna. You must be patient since you cannot see the plug, nor antenna wire, while you are removing them. See the video
(skip to 4.16) where clintathusaz (awesome dude) shows you how. And you must install the metra wiring harness in the tight quarters between the old radio and the car body, but it can be done. One tip, on installing the Metra harness plug into the old radio. Be sure to push the plug and wires behind the metal flange then you can pull the plug into place. Note, the Metra harness does NOT include the wires (e.g.: Metra harness pin 3 and pin 11 are blank and yet are required for a PAC SWI-RC steering wheel kit) for your Honda steering wheel radio control buttons. So be ready to splice into the old Honda radio harness. Again, this will be tight, but doable. Note I used a pair of locking forceps to hold and isolate pin 3 and pin 11 wires. Also, note the Honda radio antenna wire will be too short to reach your new radio. And yes, you can try and remove the wire harness clip on the antenna wire but you risk damaging other components and a huge amount of frustration. So just buy a Metra 44-EC12 12-inch car radio antenna extension cable and you are good. Note, also be sure to connect the Metra Blue wire to the radio ‘power antenna’ wire since your Honda has a 12v powered antenna amp to boost reception. For the microphone installation, we installed the mic just behind the steering wheel. Yes, you have to snip off the clip, but then I used Velcro to mount the mic. Note, I used Velcro so I can move the mic to change the view of the dash, e.g. I mounted the mic so it is located just to the right of the odometer and does cover up any of the gauges on the dash. And finally, the ‘piece da resistance,’ what to do about the stock clock which is built into the old radio/HVAC system? You can ignore the flashing clock and go insane or just take black electrical tape and cover it up. Note, if you come up with a way to set the old radio/HVAC clock please let us know.