Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Lost Viper Remote and Keys...Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Default Lost Viper Remote and Keys...Questions!

Sup Everyone,

Wifey lost her keys with the remote to the Viper 5900 alarm installed on her 2000 Accord. I have a couple of questions;

Once i get a replacement viper remote, can the frequencies be changed so that whoever found old remote will not be able to disable the car alarm?

Where's the cheapest location i can get a replacement viper remote? Currently i see them for $70-$100 on ebay. Is there any place cheaper?

Where's the cheapest site I can order a replacement key? I already have someone who can cut and program it.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 AM

These alarms have rolling codes, so when you program the new one, that should render the old one useless. As far as finding a cheap one, got to any local car dealer and ask their "aftermarket guy" he/she should have a few layin' around! You're gonna have to search/call around for the key. Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM

I was able to find the remote on ebay new for $80. Does anyone know if i can program it myself, is their a site that might possibly have the instructions?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2010, 01:54 PM

It's really simple. You just use the valet switch. All you need is the manual, which you can get from the manufacturers website for free.

P.S. $80 Sounds expensive to me.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM

I received the replacement Remote Transmitter for the alarm today. However there's a discrepency, on the Viper 5900 Alarm Manual it states the number of times i need to press the program switch to delete all trasmitters is 14. However on the replacement remote it says I need to press the program 11 times to delete all transmitters. Because my remote was lost i want to make sure im erasing the transmitters correctly before programming the new remote.

Does anyone know the correct number of times i need to press the program 14 or 11?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

follow the instructions for the alarm brain - not the transmitter. the transmitter is dumb. the brain is what you need to work with.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
follow the instructions for the alarm brain - not the transmitter. the transmitter is dumb. the brain is what you need to work with.

+1...........

Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by chip
These alarms have rolling codes, so when you program the new one, that should render the old one useless. As far as finding a cheap one, got to any local car dealer and ask their "aftermarket guy" he/she should have a few layin' around! You're gonna have to search/call around for the key. Hope that helps.
These units can remember up to 4 remotes. So programming another one will not make it forget the one lost. Rolling codes just makes it harder to copy a frequency. If she lost her remote delete the other transmitters As well and reprogram yours and the new one you just bought. Yes use the instructions from the brain. you'll be able to delete remotes from brain instructions as well. If you need I can get the instructions when I go to work in the next 45 min.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 AM

These are the instructions listed in the Viper 5900 Installation Manual:

1. Open a door.
2. Turn the ignition to the ON position.
3. Within 10 seconds, press and release the Program switch the number of times corresponding to the desired channel listed below. (I believe this is when i press the program switch 14 times to "delete all transitters") Once you have selected the channel, press the switch once more and HOLD it. The LED will flash and the horn will honk (if connected) to confirm the selected channel. Do not release the Program switch.
4. While HOLDING the Valet/Program switch, press the button on the transmitter
that you would like to control the selected receiver channel (im confused with this, i want it set to "auto learn standard configuration (default) how do i do this?). The unit will chirp to confirm that the code has been successfully programmed. It is not possible to teach a transmitter button to the system more than once.
5. Once the code is learned, the Valet/Program switch can be released.

Can someone with experience explain if by pressing the program switch 14 times as listed in step three will delete all transmitters? I want to erase the one that was lost.

Also can someome explain how I can program the replacement remote to "auto learn standard configuration"?

Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 AM

1. open door
2. turn ignition key to the on position
3. press and release valet button 1 time. then press again and hold.
4. while still holding valet button, press the lock button on the new remote (this is auto learn so all the buttons on the remote will work just like before.) Siren will sound once lock is pressed showing that remote was learned.
5. release valet button and turn key off. remote should work

and yes the 14 times will delete other remotes

Last edited by My03Accord; 04-02-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Lost Viper Remote and Keys...Questions!