Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need advice on a sound system

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Smile Need advice on a sound system

Let me just start by saying if this post seems a bit naive, I'm a girl and am new to all of this haha. Make fun of me if you'd like I have no problem with it lol.

I recently purchased a 2011 Accord, base model.

I love my music and I HAVE TO HAVE MY MUSIC. No matter how long the drive is. However I'm really unsatisfied with the sound system in this car. My previous car was a 95 Mercedes and needless to say came with a Bose system so my ears seem to be slightly spoiled :-\

Anyway my question is what would be a nice, clean sounding system for my car? Money isn't exactly a factor that i'm looking at right now I just really want to get an idea of what systems to look at so I know what's better and what I like.

If anyone would be willing to give me some advice that would be very helpful

Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

I assure you that your ears have not been spoiled by bose. you just dont know any better. lol. the factory honda system really is not that good.

what is your budget to spend on an audio system and are you planning on doing the install yourself? we will be more than willing to help just need to know what you want to spend and if paying someone in labor will be included in this price. since you are comparing to bose I am thinking that you want a sound quality system.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM

My budget as of right now is about 1500 dollars, I have a few friends that agreed to install it for me however I am a bit hesitant in letting them do work on my car is it's pretty much brand new lol.

Yes a sound quality system is what I'm looking for.

Another thing that I noticed is that the car is quite noisy when I drive. (I drive mainly highway miles). Is there any sort of insulating that I could look into?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM

Ok I will address the noise issue first. KHA has extensive examples of sound deadning in this thread:
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...page/1/fpart/1
ok so here we go: (this is my suggestion, there are more out there, definately cheaper routes but this is what I would do with that budget and that focus)
processor: clarion eq5746 $89.99
WoofersEtc.com - EQS746 - Clarion 7-Band Rotary Equalizer
mids highs amp: Arc audio xdi 804 $299.99
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-10488-xd...amplifier.aspx
sub amp: Arc audio xdi 600.1 $299.99
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-10489-xd...amplifier.aspx
front stage: Diamond audio d364.5 $139.99
WoofersEtc.com - D364.5 - Diamond Audio 6.5" 2-Way Convertible Component Speaker
rear: CDT cl-6 $129.99
WoofersEtc.com - CL-6 - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" Midrange/Midbass Driver
sub: DC audio 8" about $150. (I can you get you in touch with a dealer if need be. cant order online)
---------wire--------
4 channel: Knukonceptz 4 awg kolosus 4 channel kit $60
4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit
2 channel (for sub): Knukonceptz 4 awg kolosus $50
4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Amp Installation Wiring Kit
speaker wire: 100 ft Kord $65
Knukonceptz product detail for KORD ULTRA FLEX 12 GAUGE SPEAKER WIRE 100'

That leaves 225 dollars to build a box and buy deadning material.

Last edited by neophyte; 06-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM

My accord has Rockford Fosgate speakers in the cab which sound awesome turned up as loud as I want. I have 2 12 inch Alpine Type Rs but I imagine you would be fine with a 10 inch sub. As far as quality goes, you might as well go with a high quality setup. JL makes some badass speakers. you could get your 6x9s and tweeters all JL brand and probably not need subs. JL is a bit pricey though but they are good quality. Ok they are probably overpriced lol. I would kill for some JL subs though.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM

I personally feel that jl is much like bose. they have a big hype and charge big $ for an average product.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by SLIPKANOT
My accord has Rockford Fosgate speakers in the cab which sound awesome turned up as loud as I want. I have 2 12 inch Alpine Type Rs but I imagine you would be fine with a 10 inch sub. As far as quality goes, you might as well go with a high quality setup. JL makes some badass speakers. you could get your 6x9s and tweeters all JL brand and probably not need subs. JL is a bit pricey though but they are good quality. Ok they are probably overpriced lol. I would kill for some JL subs though.
I will definitely look into it! Thanks so much for your input

Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=neophyte;323416]Ok I will address the noise issue first. KHA has extensive examples of sound deadning in this thread:
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...page/1/fpart/1

Oh my haha, thank you so much!! I will surely take a good look into all of this. Do you think the budget is reasonable or a bit low to properly complete a project like this?

I previously had a set of kickers hooked up in my car so I think a bit of the wiring may already be done? Or it may need to be completely replaced I have no clue lol

And thank you for helping with the sound deadning materials

Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 PM

I think that is a reasonable budget for a nice system. you probably wont win any sq comps with that budget but I think you can be more than happy with your stereo. you may have some wire left over that will work. take a look and let us know what you got in there already. brand and model of wire if it says it on there. if you dont know the size and it doesnt say take a picture of it compared to your thumb for reference. that way we can tell what size it is.

It is important to remember when building a system that the amps and processor are going to be the biggest thing in the sound of the stereo. with that being said amps must be properly powered. so it is very important to use good wire. you must remember that it is a "system" and a system is only as good as its weakest point.

you are under 1000 watts so you should be fine with factory battery and alternator. you can get a capacitor if you would like, but I dont find them to be all that great. I have heard they work well to filter noise. never noticed a difference with my ear, I have seen the results on an meter. as an extra power storage it is a waste of time.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM

So did you ever get a system in your car. If so let's see it