Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Question about 1997 Stock Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Default Question about 1997 Stock Speakers

I'm looking at upgrading the stock speakers in my 97 Accord. Its the SE model if that matters. I recently put in a new JVC head unit and will be replacing the front speakers first, rear at a later date. My question is this;

Are the stock speakers a 2 way, 3 way or what exactly? I will be installing a budget friendly Kenwood or Pioneer speaker but if I can get a little better sound It would be nice. I assume the stock speakers are 2 way so anything I get now a days will be leaps and bounds better.

Thank you for the help.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The easiest thing to do is get a 2 way co-axial speaker.
Spend a few extra bucks - it will be worth it in sound quality

Old 01-26-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
The easiest thing to do is get a 2 way co-axial speaker.
Spend a few extra bucks - it will be worth it in sound quality
Hi, thanks for the reply. My question was what the stock speakers are, are they 2 way? Ive found some kenwood 3 way speakers that Im sure will sound great. They were about $40 for the pair from best buy. I just want to know what the stock speakers are. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

stock are components I believe. I know they are in my car (03) you have the midwoofer in the door and the tweeters in the dash.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:00 PM

n a 97 they are just in the doors.
They are not components.
I cannot remember if they are 2 ways or not as I just tossed them in the garbage as soon as I pulled them out.

For the OP
$40 speakers will not SOUND GREAT as you stated.
I am not sure why you would think that is a true statement.
Spend a little extra on a higher quality set, you will be rewarded with years of enjoyment.
$40 speakers are not worth the trouble of removing your door panels.
There are a lot of speakers for the $120 range that till sound much better that any $40 set will.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed. Plenty of $120 speaker options that are decent. Alpine. Pioneer, Boston Acoustics, Kenwood, etc. 2-way coax rear and component set front should be your goal. If money is tight, start with the front components. Should be factory locations for the tweeters in the dash.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM

I have a 97 Accord, there are no factory tweeter pods, that is unless it was on a different trim level than what I have.

I am not really sure what trim level I have.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

RADIO ANTENNA - SPEAKER (2) for 1997 ACCORD 4 Door EX (LEATHER) KA 4AT ELECTRICAL / EXHAUST / HEATER / FUEL

I can buy the parts and factory tweeter on hondapartsdeals. Far dash corners. Maybe it was an EX option, but I would be surprised if they used a different dash for the LX

Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Well I can tell you for certain there are no cutouts on the dash of my 97 Accord.
I had to mount my speakers on the sail panels (which is what I most likely would have done even if I had the cutouts on the dash)
That is why I was recommending the co-axiels for the OP (even though they are not the sound stage that you and I would want) for most casual listeners out there they sound pretty good.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. There are no cut outs on my dash and I'm not wanting to do anything major, just upgrade but keep it look stock except for the deck. No amps or anything. This is just a commuter car and I don't listen to anything but country, classic rock and talk radio. I guess I'm officially old. lol I've heard the cheap-o speakers from Walmart (Sony) that sound much better then my stock speakers, so it's surprising to read that any major brand upgrade would "suck".

Quick Reply: Question about 1997 Stock Speakers