Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Question about 1997 Stock Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by rykertest
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. There are no cut outs on my dash and I'm not wanting to do anything major, just upgrade but keep it look stock except for the deck. No amps or anything. This is just a commuter car and I don't listen to anything but country, classic rock and talk radio. I guess I'm officially old. lol I've heard the cheap-o speakers from Walmart (Sony) that sound much better then my stock speakers, so it's surprising to read that any major brand upgrade would "suck".
I know when it comes to speakers that you get what you pay for. I have a 97 SE that I just recently installed a $50 Sony Xplod head unit, and $50 pair of Sony front speakers, and I have to be honest. I'm VERY happy with how they sound. They sound 10x better than the stock setup and I only spent $100 total! Just do what you think is the best option. If the budget is a bit tight I don't see anything wrong with a cheap Sony stereo and speakers. They sound great in my accord.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Cody_754
I know when it comes to speakers that you get what you pay for. I have a 97 SE that I just recently installed a $50 Sony Xplod head unit, and $50 pair of Sony front speakers, and I have to be honest. I'm VERY happy with how they sound. They sound 10x better than the stock setup and I only spent $100 total! Just do what you think is the best option. If the budget is a bit tight I don't see anything wrong with a cheap Sony stereo and speakers. They sound great in my accord.
I am sure you think they sound good because you have never heard what good really sounds like.
That is not insulting, I would say 85% of people have never heard what good sound really sounds like. Once you have heard it, it changes your perception of sound tremendously.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

Originally Posted by crispin
I am sure you think they sound good because you have never heard what good really sounds like.
That is not insulting, I would say 85% of people have never heard what good sound really sounds like. Once you have heard it, it changes your perception of sound tremendously.
as harsh as that sounds it is true

Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I do see where you're coming from. I just don't feel like droppin over $500 on a system!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

along with what crispin said. Most people dont recognize loud either. what they think is loud is distortion. a good loud set up is much more tolerable than a system that is turned up until it is distorting.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

at low listening levels, even entry level equipment can sound decent. when you want to push the system - that is where the flaws become readily apparent.

if you get coax, try to get some shallow speakers with swivel tweets so you can aim them toward the listeners. that will help.

don't forget the foam weatherstripping!!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
at low listening levels, even entry level equipment can sound decent. when you want to push the system - that is where the flaws become readily apparent.

if you get coax, try to get some shallow speakers with swivel tweets so you can aim them toward the listeners. that will help.

don't forget the foam weatherstripping!!

Where does the weather stripping go?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM

Thank you to everyones replies.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rykertest
Where does the weather stripping go?
between the speaker and the metal of the door.
Helps to seal it and deaden rattles.

Easy and cheap to do.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM

between the speaker and the metal of the door.
Helps to seal it and deaden rattles.

Easy and cheap to do.
Thanks!