Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Steering Wheel Controls

Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Steering Wheel Controls

I have a 98 accord that didn't have steering wheel controls. I bought a control unit on Ebay and it only needs two wires but I'm not sure where to terminate on the stereo end.

The stereo model is 39100-584-A200.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

i will look this up for you tonight

Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks.

I noticed that there are a lot of pins not being used where the connector plugs in to the back of the radio so I'm sure there's a solution there but without a schematic, it's tough.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: Honda
All models

1998-2005
1. SWI wire color: White
2. Connector:

3. Notes: <li class="smallText"> Read the note in the chart below. These are the notes found in your instructions (note # 11) included with your SWI-JACK . Connect the INTERFACE's white wires to Pin 3 (normally Green/Red) of the above connector. If there is a wire (normally brown) in Pin 11 it will need to go to chassis ground.
Note #11 - ***THIS NOTE IS ONLY APPLICABLE FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH "Mode" BUTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL THAT IS NOT ABLE TO BE PROGRAMMED BY THE SWI MODULE:***

Program the module for version 9. Cut the purple loop then connect one end of a 560 ohm resistor to the second (inside) purple wire, and connect the other end of resistor to the white wire. Insulate the first (outside edge) purple wire as it will not be used.

In Pre-2006 Vehicles without a mode button, if the resting (when no buttons are pressed) voltage on the white wire is 4.6 volts or less it may be necessary to program the interface for version 9 and cut the purple loop. Connect a 47 ohm and 150 ohm resistor ( included in packaging) in series. Connect one end of the resistors to the second (inside) purple wire, and connect the other end of resistors to the white wire. Insulate the first (outside edge) purple wire as it will not be used.

4. Version: Program SWI for version 3. 5. Programming: Proceed with normal programming.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 06-19-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

sorry for the delay, my manual didn't have the steering wheel control wires identified. i figured i'd verify on mine today. then i remembered the instructions for an interface.
programming instructions for the pac-audio SWI-Jack are shown above. i've installed these before using their instructions and it worked great.

my car is torn apart right now, so i have no problem verifying the wire colors when i go back out. we have the same car and i have steering wheel controls. i need to get an SWI-Jack for my new HU. i sold mine a few years back.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 06-19-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I apologize for the stupid question but it looks like I need a module for the Steering Wheel Interface? I have the 3 button unit that mounts to the steering wheel but that's it. Another question is; what pins on the back of the stereo can I tap into to hook up a female jack for my phone to connect to?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I had a crazy couple of days, on the road. Should be able to pull the controldoff and take pics for you.

You don't need a module, but the module above has instructions. We will see if they are any good. Thanks for your patience.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Have you had any sucess with the pin-outs for the stereo?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

lol. i think about this every other day. it's just a pair of screws... i'll get it done ASAP!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

You had posted this picture. I really just need to know what each point is for on this connector. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls