Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Clear Coat Peelin

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Default Clear Coat Peelin

I know there is a few posts about this already and I've read through a lot of them however my situation is slightly differnet....

My 1981 Civic is going up for sale (again) but this time I'd like to wax it and dress it up a little. Unfortunatly as the topic suggests the clear coat is peeling off the hood. What I want to do is remove the white parts (where it's peeling/coming off) and then throw a wax on it to minimize the line/difference between the paint and clear coat, any suggestions? I'm VERY novice at this and a bit paranoid about wet sanding it, what's the best/easiest way to remove the "bad part" and then make that line look a little less noticeable....

Old 05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Default RE: Clear Coat Peelin

The only thing that comes to mind is to see if a pressure washer will remove it. I really don't know of a fix that doesn't involve $$$.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:18 PM

Think it would hurt anything if I scrubbed it a bit with some dawn and one of those green scrubbing pads? Then smack a nice coat of wax over the top....

Old 05-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Try a small spot first, the scrubby pad could verypossibly make it worse. If it doesn't then why not? Do consider that it's doubtful the hood will kill the resale value unless it's really bad........it is a 1981 after all. What's a perfect hood gonna bring to the table moneywise?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 PM

the fact that the hood won't kill the resale value is the very reason I'm going to attempt it on this car, I know I can't make it worse at this point and even if I do make it a little worse I highly doubt someone wouldn't buy the car because the hood is faded.... I figure I've got an open shot at trying my hand at this without the risk of screwing it up... I'll do some before and after shots on saturday and post them....we'll see what happens!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Go for it Nate..then we will all know if it works..

Sir-nasty get to be the tester car guy [sm=groupwave.gif]
Go Sir Nasty, Go! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

WheelBrokerAng [sm=nerd.gif] ..dont forget to wear sanding glasses!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:05 PM

I did some "preliminary" tests last night with my fingernail and found out that it's loose enough in spots to flake off with very little pressure which is what got me thinking about the pad.... I'm going to try dawn dish soap and one of those green "scrub" pads on one part and then the same scrub pad with some comet (that's gotta be pretty close to a very high grit sand paper) and see what happens.... If I screw it up at least we'll know what not to do....

Any other thoughts on things to try?

Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM

I'm all ears..........and eyes. Let's see some pics, I'm always ready to learn something new.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:37 PM

I'll post my pictures/findings on Monday and if I have any success I'll write a DIY on it...

Old 05-11-2007, 08:33 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

How bad is it? Are you talking like a Huuuge area or a few small spots?

On my car, Ive noticed the clear coats coming off, most likely from rock chips. So I bought one of those touch up paints in a glass bottle from Wal-Mart, except it is clear coat. So when I apply it, it gets rid of that white and looks pretty good! Ecspecially if you get it to be flush w/ the surface.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Peelin