Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Sticky center console

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm in Mississippi and I have the same problem. It has a sticky feel to it and dust and whatever is floating around gets stuck on it like glue. I have never figured out how to remedy it. I guess I just figured something I tried to use to clean it in the past caused the stickiness.
If you have any luck with yours let me know. I would be very interested. It's pretty annoying.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

tint your windows, use sun shades, use active solar powered fan cooling, etc.

if you don't want sticky plastic, don't let the car interior get above 110 deg.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:08 PM

az has some extreme heat...but never heard of that one before...maybe do to the moisture in your air?

we hit 118 pretty reguraely around here. and thats just outside temps...can ya imagine what inside is like? damn furnace. Hope my AC is up to snuff come the warm months

Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 PM

We normally stay near 100 in the summer in Mississippi. However the majority of the time the humidity is about 80% or more. and there is no wind whatsoever. you have a furnace, we have a giant steam room.
It is not possible to keep the interior of your car below 110 in the summer Mississippi or any other southern state unless you left the windows down with a sprinkler spraying water into the car.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Have you tried removing the piece and just spraying it down with a hose? Maybe the sticky stuff will just get washed off.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
We normally stay near 100 in the summer in Mississippi. However the majority of the time the humidity is about 80% or more. and there is no wind whatsoever. you have a furnace, we have a giant steam room.
It is not possible to keep the interior of your car below 110 in the summer Mississippi or any other southern state unless you left the windows down with a sprinkler spraying water into the car.

anything is possible. you just need the will, the creativity, and the money.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i am going tp purchase an over lay kit. this will solve the problem!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM

my wife's old accord (99 EX) did the same thing inside the cubby hole infront of the shifter, we would get it cleaned out and a coupe months later it would be sticky again

Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Question

Originally Posted by Low Miles
i am going tp purchase an over lay kit. this will solve the problem!

Does this post mean that you are having that same problem member ??

Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Default I have the Solution!!!

I found out how to fix a sticky center console in a 2000 +/- Honda Accord. I don't know which years or models this is a problem with but I have a 1999 Honda Accord. My center console became sticky and nothing seemed to work to get rid of it (its been like this for years). I tried several things but finally I found the solution. Melaleuca's stain remover called Sol-U-Mel does the job!!! Use it at full strength with a toothbrush. Dip the toothbrush in the Sol-U-Mel and scrub a small area. Don't pour it on, that wastes too much. Wipe it off with a paper towel and off comes the sticky, black, tar-like substance. It takes a while to do the entire center console but it does work! I am so excited that this fixed my car. I feel like I have a new car now!!!!!!!!! You are supposed to be a memeber to purchase products from Melaleuca. If anyone would llike to try this but is not a member, I would be happy to help you get some....or you could probably find it on Ebay.

I did this about 3 weeks ago and the stickiness has not come back. I'll have to wait and see if the summer in Central Florida makes it come back.

Quick Reply: Sticky center console