Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Tiny rust spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 AM

There are many reasons for a car to develop rust spots. The main reason is when the paint is chipped or scratched through the primer coat, perhaps by stones on the road or a minor car accident, and the metal underneath is exposed to moisture and air, which causes the metal to oxidize. A rust spot increases and spreads with time, especially with each rain or snow storm. Whether you plan on keeping it or selling it, your car will look cleaner without the rust. Others judge you by your own appearance, by your speech, and by the car you drive, so take the time to remove the rust spots and give the car a painting before the entire car ends up covered in rust.

Take safety precautions. Wear gloves, safety glasses and a dust mask.(There may be some extreme situations that you may need a respirator.)There will be fine rust and paint dust as well as paint spray everywhere; you don't want it in your eyes or lungs.

Cover up any parts of the car that you don't want to get dusty. Use a tarp sealed with painter's tape to define your work area. Roll up your windows. The paint dust is extremely fine and will get everywhere.

Remove the paint around the rust with a grinder. Use a sanding wheel (150 grit) to take off both the primer and paint, as well as any light rust that hasn't fused with the metal, and level the surface between the painted surface and the unpainted area. Feel with your fingers for a smooth surface.

Switch to a metal grinding wheel for removing the thick rust and getting into any pits. When using the wheel, go slowly, because these can do a lot of damage. Once this is done apply rust removing acid to the area to remove the microscopic particles of rust that remain. Phosphoric acid is best and can be bought at most auto parts stores. If you want, use a hole spot filler or a body filler like Bondo to even out some of the dents, and fill the space where the paint is gone. Finish off by sanding by hand (120 grit sandpaper) to get a nice smooth metal surface.

Purchase primer that is ideal for painting on bare metal and find an auto spray that matches the color of your car. Both of these supplies can be found at an auto supply store.

Prepare the spot for priming. Follow the instructions for your primer. Typically, what you will need to do is:

Wipe the area with mineral spirits or paint thinner.

Tape newspaper on all surrounding areas within three feet

Spray thin coats of primer evenly. Spray three coats of primer, waiting a few minutes between coats. Allow to dry over night (at least 12 hours).

Sand with 400 grit wet sandpaper. This abrasive is specifically made for sanding between paint coats to smooth the surface and degloss, so the paint bonds. Wipe clean.

Spray a thin coat of paint so as not to let the paint run or sag. Use as many coats of paint over the primer as you need in order to achieve a nice color and finish. Let it set at least 24 hours before pulling off the tape.

Buff the edges of the new paint so that it blends with the old paint. If necessary, apply a clear coat to match of the finish on the rest of the car.

Allow the paint to cure for 48 hours. Wash and polish the car. Never wax fresh paint within 30 days of painting!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 PM

so, say i wanna paint my whole car....
would i go about the same steps? i've also heard of people sanding with like.. 2000 grit wet sand paper.. would it be different from 400? >.<
i was thinking about painting my car and was wondering whether or not to purchase a hplv gun... >.<
If possible, some advice would be amazing~
thankss

Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Take your car to a local body shop. They should only charge 30 to 40 dollars to fix it, and do it right. You will never be able to tell it was there. If you do it yourself, do not just paint over it, or take the easy way out, or you will regret it later down the road. You need to tape off and sand a 2 inch radius around the rust spot, so that you can see if the rust has spread, and to prevent it from spreading. Sand down the area and then touch it up. Do this right or your gonna have nothing but problems. Ive seen this this too many times.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is Maaco worth going to and asking them to do it?

I have a similar problem. The hood of my car, doors, and some other areas have some chips and scratches. Some of them are deep enough to to get to the metal, while others are just a chip off what I assume to be the first layer. I too would like to get this fixed. Think Maaco will be able to do it for me?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Max Utility
Is Maaco worth going to and asking them to do it?

I have a similar problem. The hood of my car, doors, and some other areas have some chips and scratches. Some of them are deep enough to to get to the metal, while others are just a chip off what I assume to be the first layer. I too would like to get this fixed. Think Maaco will be able to do it for me?
I believe they would be able to do it... But im not 100% sure, so just give them a call and ask them, as they will tell you yes or no...

Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Almost A Senior Member

This place has touch up paint for older Hondas, looks like they formulate the paint for you to factory codes. You should note that they ask for the Factory Location Code as well as the paint code.
I haven't bought from them so you are on your own here. I'm just the messenger.

http://www.paintscratch.com/apple.html