Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

98-02 Accord struts tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 98-02 Accord struts tips

Just wanted to give a little advice and tips of what Ive learned so far fighting with my new strut install, re install and re reinstall.

1. It prob would be best to buy your struts locally so that if you have issues you can go straight to them and not try to email troubleshoot the problem.

2. There is a notch in the fork (front struts only) that the groove in the strut NEEDs to fit on so the strut wont move and ensure proper installation.

3. Pay attention to how the old strut was put together. One missing washer could mean a strut through your hood like it almost happen to me.

4. This goes with no.2, theres a certain way the top of the spring sits in the strut mount, it is important it sits correctly then you wont have to fight getting it turned right to fit correctly in the fork.

5. I found it alot easier to have the spring compressors turned upside down. When it started tightening down the bolt would get to close to the strut mount so a socket wouldnt fit.

6. The front struts def can be down by yourself, the rear I would say its a 2 person job but I have a call for help in another section about the rears.

If anyone has any questions about the front struts theres a great video in another section that helped me alot. I also will help as much as Im able to. Im by far a expert, Im still messing with my front struts but I know what I need to do know and know how to with confidence.
It will def save you money to replace at least the front struts yourself instead of doing it at a shop. I believe the only tools I used were a 12mm,14mm,2-17mm,3/4inch sockets along with a impact gun. O and a spring compressor (rented at autozone)