Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

HOW TO.....Bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default HOW TO.....Bleeding brakes

tools you need ,,,,,,,,,10mm and 8 mm wrench,,, depends on year and model you will need both

part you need,............brake fluid,, Dot 3 ,,, Dot 4 ..

Sequence of proper Bleeding.... rt rear,, left frt,,, left rear,,, rt front.. this sequence is to be used up to 1997

As brought to my attention by JIMBLAKE.. starting in 1998 the sequence changed ,, lft frt,,,rt frt,,,,,,lft rear.. rt rear ..

remove all the old brake fluid from the reservoir,Use something as simple as a turkey baster....
Once you suck out all the fluid, get a lintless rag or paper towel and wipe the reservoir, clean the screen as well., use some brake clean, spray the screen and rinse with water , but DO NOT spray brake clean into the reservoir, add new fluid and bleed the brakes. clean reservoir,, fill reservoir to max with new brake fluid.... Now you are ready to bleed brakes..

have an assistant pump the brake pedal slowly and evenly several times,,ask them to hold the pedal down, ,
( starting with the sequence i described ,, )

loosen up the bleeder screw to let the air in the system escape, it is a good idea to put a hose from the bleeder screw going into a container , that way you do not splash brake fluid all over ,, while pedal is still down retighten the bleeder screw,, repeat it, till no more air comes out..
Do the same on all 4 wheels.. Remember not to let the reservoir go empty,, so it is a good idea to check and fill it after each wheel has been bled,,

Once all done, clean the area and test drive,,

http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html ,,,,,,,,,,if you got the extra money you can buy a power bleeder ,this would make it a 1 man job ,,,,,,( link provided by COOPER4X4

Old 11-24-2011, 12:44 PM

For deserthonda---this is a direct quote from your above post.

As brought to my attention by JIMBLAKE.. starting in 1998 the sequence changed ,, lft frt,,,rt frt,,,,,,lft rear.. rt rear ..

In JimBlakes posts, he refers the general bleeding procedure to you post above, yet he gives the bleeding sequence for 1998 and up Accords as LF-RF-RR-LR. This is different than what you give. I am assuming that Jim is correct and that you just typed it wrong.
Can you confirm please.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 AM

seems as if the years don't jive "Turkey" I'm on a 1992 EX Accord. Are the steps the same for older and newer years???

Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ineedhelp
seems as if the years don't jive "Turkey" I'm on a 1992 EX Accord. Are the steps the same for older and newer years???
I never had any problems with bleeding the brakes in different sequence on many vehicles. I believe it only matters if your vehicle has ABS system. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Bleeding order seems to be related to which circuit is more likely to push air bubbles into which other circuit. Before ABS most cars had pretty similar plumbing, so they were all about the same.

Still, if you do the wheels in the wrong order, I think the only bad thing is you might have to go around all the wheels again, to get the last of the air out.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Bleeding order seems to be related to which circuit is more likely to push air bubbles into which other circuit. Before ABS most cars had pretty similar plumbing, so they were all about the same.

Still, if you do the wheels in the wrong order, I think the only bad thing is you might have to go around all the wheels again, to get the last of the air out.
I actually didn't follow the bleeding order as suggested with my 2006 Honda Accord and my brake pedal is actually fine, not spongy.