Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

2005 honda accord lx 4 cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Default 2005 honda accord lx 4 cyl.

I am new to forum so bear with me. My car is indicating a diagnostic code of 0141, for the O2 sensor. The check eng. light is on. Can I trust this code enough to replace the indicated 02 sensor? If so, I am having a very difficult time even seeing the electrical conn. in order to remove the sensor. I can't tell how to get it unplugged, ie: the snaps to open for removal. And it is a one handed job. Any hints any one? Is a closeup pic of that connection available to make this easier? I understand the sensor removal from the catalyst before the converter, and that a special socket is needed for such removal, which I will rent from Auto Zone when I am ready. The car has been laid up for 2 wks. It has 47K miles. HELP!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

That's for the rear O2 sensor which is located IN the catalyst, roughly below the gearshift lever. Specifically, it's for the preheater circuit for that sensor.

I'm pretty sure the wire goes thru some kinda rubber grommet through the floorpan, then you'll find a plug somewhere under the right-front seat.

First thing you do is check the preheater in that sensor. Unplug the wire & look for 2 same-color (black?) wires leading to the sensor. Use your multi-meter to measure resistance between them. It should be 5.0 to 6.4 ohms. A bad heater will probably read open-circuit. If it's bad, then buy a new sensor.

Also measure the power supplied by the car to those 2 wires. With the engine running, you should see battery voltage across those wires. (Back-probe the wires.) If that's not good, then you're in for some electrical troubleshooting in the car.

The long wire doesn't disconnect at the sensor. That special socket allows you to fold the wire down alongside the sensor, & slip the socket over. Or sometimes the socket has a slot for the wire. Otherwise it's just a 22mm or 24mm deep socket (can't remember which). So if you really have trouble getting the old one out, cut the wire & use a big socket with a long handle. Soak for awhile with PB-Blaster, Kroil, or Liquid Wrench.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM

thank you emensely sir, i will study the.detals of your you reply and proceed from there. My ineptness in mechanic's is my hinderance. Case in point, from what I seem to see under the car, I note that the sensor enters the manifold catylst, and can be unscrewed be the socket. Im not too conserned about getting the sensor out, and know to heat the car two mins to facilitate removing that part more easily. When tracing the wire from that sensor I locate a (bluewire, leading up from the sensor, to a very hard to reach elec connction, which I can scarcely even see. I have reached from under the hood to that connection, but have rubbed my thumb raw tring to blindly unsnap the sensor's electric conntion. Sadly only one hand fits into that tight space, and unplugging it seems impossible without knowing how to blindly undo it. a close up of the plug's release clips would be very helpful since I can't figure out how to release that connection with one hand and not being able to see it. And, if I am correct, I see no reason to go under the floor board to deal withi it. Hence, I am confused, I will study your reply carefully to see if I am even working on the correct sensor. I hope that this is clear to you, and I will advise if I progess. It's freezing in South Louisiana so I don't know if I will bear the raw wind to work today. Thank you for your patience. Bob McGrath

Old 02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

You might be looking at the wrong catalyst. You call it the "manifold" cat? The front sensor is #16 in this picture, that's the wrong one.

The rear sensor is #31, that's the one you want. But #17(for a different model Accord) is positioned more correctly in this drawing, with a line showing where it's screwed into the cat (#2).

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 AM

Many thanks sir. I am only now able to get back into the forum to view what you have said. Have a sick wife who has tests wed, thur and sugery fri. I tell you this so you understand why I havent replied to your comments. If #16 is the wrong sensor, I have already begun wrong although auto zone printed a drawing indicating it was that. I see #17 and I will have to study your drawing here, before attempting to locate and remove it. Kindly bear with me. I will advise when I have persued this further, and am grateful to you.

Bob McGrath

Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

When you get a chance to look at it firsthand, THEN that drawing will probably make more sense.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Default '05 accord

Mr. Blake,

Many thanks for you input on this matter. I don't like to post personal messages on forum, but a couple of things I need to say relating to the automobile, and the necessary repair work. First, I am tempted to give up on it, but that is out of the question.

Recent developements have made it necessary to put the job on hold. First my wife was scheduled for surgery tomorrow, requiring 5 days of strict bed rest. I am all she has to care for her. However, the surgery was postponed this morning, for 2 reasons. Our current weather is extremely unusual for South Louisiana, and sleet and heavy snow for us, is a real possibilty today, tonight and tomorrow. But, my 87 yr old mother passed away this morning just after midnight, in a nursing home, and although I can accept that her suffering is finally over, and that she is at peace, there are necessary arrangements that I have to assist with, with my younger brother. ie; getting the country cemetary grave site cleaned and prepared, and making arrangements to have a memorial for her on Saturday at her church in Slidell, La., in order to allow the family to begin the healing process.

I look forward to working with you in regards to the car, but it might be days or weeks before I can get back to it. For now I will use our 1998 Caravan until I can get the car corrected. I must say that the diagram you sent to me sort of "threw me" as I was thinking it was the 02 sensor before the converter, and would have pulled it out for nothing. I have a Haynes repair manual for my Honda, but in doing the front brakes recently I realized that that book was not to be trusted entirely, by ant means. This is how novices such as myself can waste alot of time, and money.

I will not have internet access, until I return from Slidell, which may be tonight if I can complete my tasks there, and the weather does not hinder my return trip. It is 80 miles SW of where I live.

Regards,

Bob McGrath
Walker, La.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Well, whenever you get back to it, dig up this same thread & add to it. That way it'll help ME remember what we talked about.