Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > Do-It-Yourself Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Almost A Senior Member
1994 Honda Accord

Default How To Dye Seatbelts Properly.

I did not write this article. I merely found it on a Ford forum by literally Googling "How to dye seat belts". In this article, he shows us how to properly dye a seat belt a new color or re-dye a faded seat belt it's originally color.

Warning: Faded seat belts may have suffered fiber damage and might need to be replaced.

I needed some seat belts for my '74 Bronco and realized that I was missing two of the belts. I had the belts with the latch, but was missing the other two. I have a big box full of seat bets from all kinds of classic Fords that I have collected over the years, and I found the two missing belts that I needed, but they were a tan color and I needed black. I like the look of the original Ford belts and hardware so I decided to dye the tan belts to match, as well as re-dye the black belts so they would look fresh and new.

Here are the belts I was going to dye, the black belt was a little faded, and the tan one was the wrong color:
Click the image to open in full size.

The belts are cleaned with hot water and soap and left to dry:

You will need some lacquer thinner, and a can of whatever color to want to dye your belts. I used enamel paint, but lacquer also works well:

Some lacquer thinner is poured into a shallow container, an old hubcap works well. You only need enough to fully submerge the belt. Let it soak in for a few seconds:

With the belt soaking wet, remove it and hang it somewhere so it can be painted. You can now completely soak it with the spray paint. You don't want to paint as you normally would with strokes, but you need to depress the nozzle and spray until the belt is completely soaked. The lacquer thinner will let the paint soak in to every nook and cranny. Don't worry about the hardware as it will be cleaned off later:

Once dry, the hardware can be cleaned off with some lacquer thinner on a rag:

The finished belts look new and the dye job will not come off. The tan belt is now completely black, and the original black belt looks new. The lacquer and thinner will not hurt the belts. I have used this method for years with great results every time:
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Clarion EQS746 7-Band Graphic Equalizer
Pioneer Head Unit - DEH-1900MP
Factory Honda speakers until I get some more money.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Administrator

www.patriotfiles.org WheelBrokerAng TheWheelBroker Retired Now wheelbrokerang
Send a message via AIM to WheelBrokerAng Send a message via Yahoo to WheelBrokerAng Send a message via Skype™ to WheelBrokerAng
Thumbs up

Very Good DIY Post.
I shall make this a sticky for it's good pictures and for its
great content.

Thank You

WheelBrokerAng
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 AM

Closed Thread

Tags
1994, accord, belt, belts, black, color, correctly, diy, dye, dyeing, seat, seatbelt, seatbelts, spray, wet