Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

Windows roll up/down slow? heres your fix!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Default RE: Windows roll up/down slow? heres your fix!

ahahahaha!! I send useless emails to my entire company....nationwide outfit so more than half the employees I dont even know! LMAO.

and yea....its definitely vrud coming out of there because after awhile the Q-tip comes out clean....just a lengthy process of cleaning.....took me 2 hours on my 91 for just the front windows and I havent even started on the rears yet[]

Old 09-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'd think that black dye would look the same ..... would probably bleed gray to the top of the q-tip cotton though ..... no gray?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 AM

I have never had gray on my tips before...and you can very easily tell when its crud out of the track. (wishing I wasn't on the road so I could post up some pics as I do another track ) but after a few swipes you'll see the tips starting to look cleaner so you know your maiking progress. even after I get it pretty clean looking, I do afew more swipes through to insure, then follow with the silicone spray and never had any problems. gotta make sure its silicone spray though and not WD40 (dries up) or any litho grease (cruds and dries and then stuck windows, which would really suck)

after I did my passenger front, my rollup time decreased from almost a minute to rollup to just a few seconds like normal, mine was really bad after 26 years and prolly never been done before....drivers wasn't tooooo bad, but still dirty

Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM

cool .... gotta try it out ...... what about wax instead of the silicone spray? I'd think it'd be neater, but probably turn into more crud over time. I'd think that the spray would tend to grab more dust though .... what do you think?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 PM

I would tend to think wax cause it would dry, would prolly cause some issue down the road.....never tried it as I have always had such good results with the spray so I stay with what I know has worked for me

Old 09-20-2007, 01:29 PM

OK. So the windows on my 95 probably really need this because they screech like crazy when I roll them down. My 2000 is starting to perform similarly. I wonder if this would fix the screaming "fingernails down a chalkboard" sound. By tracks, you are referring to the seam the window fits into on the front and back, top to bottom when it is rolled up arent you?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:35 PM

well I guess I try the silicone spray then ...... still kinda p'ed off that you found a spot to clean on the ride that I didn't think of! LOL [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 PM

sorry homie!! [8D]

Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM

yes, the seam the window follows up and down, clean that baby out good and get some lube in there!!

Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 PM

not at you! just that I didn't think of it ..... good idea though!!!

Quick Reply: Windows roll up/down slow? heres your fix!