Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1991 Honda Accord Vehicle Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Sliom001
Unregistered
Default 1991 Honda Accord Vehicle Speed Sensor

I have a 1991 Honda Accord EX with 5-speed manual transmission. I have been having problems with the speedometer and have determined the problem is probably with the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). I have ordered a VSS, and understand that the VSS is easy to replace, and is located on the transmission near the differential. My question is, do you access the VSS to replace it from under the hood or from under the car? I have been having problems locating the VSS, but understand it only takes two bolts and a wiring plug to install. Any input as to where the VSS is located and the best way to access it, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Administrator
Default RE: 1991 Honda Accord Vehicle Speed Sensor

it should be on the tranny case...do you have a jack? i would look under it..there shouldnt be many wires going to the tranny that looks like the VSS...

Old 03-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Sliom001
Unregistered

Thanks for the response. Yes I have a jack, so I assume you are saying that it would be accessed from under the car as opposed to under the hood, i.e on the underside of the transmission case?

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

well, i am honestly not sure, but if it is accessible from under the car, i would try to see that first, instead of fighting with it from under the hood only to realize later that you could have gotten it easier from the underside.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
elfreaky70363
Unregistered

on my girlfriend's 1997 accord ex with the f22 vtec the vss is located on the top of the tranny case just below where the intake meets the throttle body. pull the intake and its fairly easy to reach from the top.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

might be on the rear side of the trans.....

Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

here you go...........

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/vss.php

Old 07-21-2007, 02:43 PM
mpulnteeth
Unregistered

Just wanted to say thank you for your posts, I removed and repaired thispart for less than what it cost me to change the oil and saved the 124.99 for the new part. if you are looking at this tread to do this repair... CHECK THE LINK!!! it is too muchhelp!!!

Once agian thank ya'll

Robert

Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Rather than post something new, I am going to add my own question to this as it is quite similar - if not the same.

I have a 91 Auto accord and when I first got the car from my brother the speedo was not working. I replaced the VSS with a unit from a salvage yard. It worked great right away.

Again the car sat for a few months as I was working on replacing a bunch of fuel lines.
I finished this project a few days ago and now that I am driving the car again the speedo is not working, at least not all the time. When it is not working I have a check engine light as well as the S light flashing.
Could I have some faulty wires or is this just a sign of the VSS going bad?

I read the instructions via that link posted by DesertHonda (thank you by the way) but damned if I don't know how to use a volt meter. To me, those instructions take me into mechanical realms that I have never been. I could see it taking me a few hours to slowly work my way through those processes.

Does anybody have any additional input or is my problem identical to the original posters?

thanks for all of your help.

Brandon