Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > Your Ride > Engine & Internal
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Angry 1996 Honda Accord Ex VTEC Engine Problems HELP

As you can tell, I have a 96 Accord EX with a VTEC (F22B) I believe.

I bought this car a couple months ago with 117,000 miles for only $1,550.

I have tried and tried to figure out what my problem is, but I can't seem to find it. My current assumption is that it could possible be my torque converter (yes I know it's not part of my engine).

The problem that I have is my take-off. If I take off slow driving normal, my car takes off fine and it is still really fast, but if I try to "punch it" on take off, I lose all power and my engine "chuggs". It will also do it in park if I am under the hood and I push the throttle hard.

What makes me think its my torque converter is when the pavement is wet, I can "punch it" and my tires just spin. Honestly, I am clueless but that is my newest idea.

I have changed my spark plugs, wires, TPS, Air Filter and more. Any ideas please let me know cause this is really starting to make me mad.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
1997 Honda Accord

step 1 is to pull the codes, have you done that yet?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 PM

Unhappy 96 Honda accord 2.2 vetch

My check engine light comes on and shuts off only while driving at a steady speed. Scan tool said bad mass air flow (egr) and random misfire 2 and 4. I bought plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. Made it run better but still has random misfire. I also checked the egr and cleaned the ports. Does anyone know what my next step should take?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Don't tell us what you think the code means, but rather what the code was. I don't think the 94-97 Accords have a Mass Air Flow sensor, so something is wrong w/ your description. Code please, Pnnnn.

If it's an EGR code, we need to know which code to provide guidance.

good luck
2006 Acura TSX
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM

Off the wall WAG is cat is bad may be falling apart inside and may flow at times at low demand you need to do a back pressure test and go from thare
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM

Tags
1994, 1996, 1997, 96, accord, engine, honda, light, make, misfire, motors, problems, speed, steady, vtec