Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2.7 V6 distributor removal/timing question

Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2.7 V6 distributor removal/timing question

My 1996 2.7 V6 accord is leaking oil from the distributor. I ordered the seals from ebay and have looked up a few how-to's on it. Some have said you have to mark the distributor before removal to make sure you dont get it out of time and have to using a timing light to get it back.

But the 2.7 seems to not need this mark is this correct? I know the distributor timing on jeep 4.0's is computer controlled so im guessing this 2.7 is the same way?

I dont own a timing light and i dont want to screw with re-timing this car. It dont appear that removal will effect it in any way but just want to make sure before i jump in.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

The V6 in this gen is a bit of an odd ball. Since it is OBD-II, I'll go with what I know about the 4 cyl.

No, the distributor is not adjustable so no worries with marking it. However, I've been wrong before and will it reall hurt to make a mark? Once you have it out you will be able to see if the mounting holes in the body of the dist are "slotted" or not. If they are not slotted, my guess was right.

If they are slotted, when you put it back in, line up the mark and call it a day. Don't stress over the timing light. I've removed the dist on ones where the dist is adjustable and as long as I lined up the mark I never had to get the timing light out.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:36 AM

All obd2 cars have the timing controlled by the ecu via the crank sensor at the crank so no need to worry about lining the marks up. In fact, it may only go one one way and it probably won't even swivel.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
will it reall hurt to make a mark?
I would but the way its set up in the car its pretty much very difficult/impossible to mark.

I have seen youtube vids on doing the 4cyls and it looks very easy.

I should break down and buy a repair manual for this car but with 240K on it i think its on its last leg. I bought this honda because of the reputation for little maintenance and its cost me more in repairs than my american made junk.

Oh well when the timing belt goes it will be retired to the scrap yard. until then i will keep throwing parts at it.

note to anyone considering the 2.7 V6 models, DONT! lol