Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2001 Accord EX6 - Randomly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Default 2001 Accord EX6 - Randomly won't start

Hi all,

My Accord has been acting strange over the past several months. 90% of the time, it's starts up fine, drives perfectly. The other 10% of the time, it won't start. Won't crank, won't make a peep. If I leave it for a while and try it again, it'll start up. It has failed to start twice today already.

I know that it's throwing an EGR valve code, but I'm not sure that that has anything to do with it. I replaced the battery with an Interstate battery about a month ago, which tells me that isn't the issue either, since the problem has been going on for several months. I've checked the connections and they are solid.

Last thing is, I got it to fire right up this morning by simply hooking up jumper cables to a friend's car and starting it immediately (i.e. it didn't require the standard 1-2 minute charge).

Anyway, could really use some help on this.

Thanks,
JP

Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM

Two more notes:

When I replaced the battery, a local repair shop tested the battery, starter, alternator, etc. and it all tested good.

I noticed today while the car was dead (still is, btw), that the cassette portion of the radio is making a clicking sound, and when I try to unlock the car with the key fob, the lock lever twitches, but nothing happens.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 AM

I had exactly the same problem with a 94 Nissan. Even, for Nissan owners this problem was a great issue that caused to many of them to give up and sell their cars, throw them to the junk, etc.

I was lucky to search a lot before replacing batteries, starters, relays, etc.

I found a place were the poster did a complete check of his car and two problems were left:

1) The main positive connector going to the battery might be faulty, for this reason sometimes turning on the ignition will show the car as dead.

2) The ignition switch is faulty, and for his reason besides of sporadically not having any sign of life in your car, sometimes the relay is heard clicking, lights will show up on the dash but the car won't start, etc.

The replacement of my ignition switch (complete assembly) solved my problem. Of course I ended with two keys, one for the ignition and the other one for the doors and trunk, but I enjoy the peaceful of starting my car every time I put the key on ignition.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 PM

my best guess would be to clean the EGR and the PCV. If neither work, perhaps you might need to get a new wiring harness for the battery, sounds like its not getting power.