Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

93 Accord Engine Coolant Flush Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 93 Accord Engine Coolant Flush Help!

I'm replacing my radiator, but i want to flush any old cool from inside the engine. I'm not too sure how to properly do it if anyone can give me a diagram on how to do this by steps I would appreciate it. (1993)

Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM

uumm.. if you dont mind a mess, just put a rag and a drain pan underneath..

behind the engine.. normally underneath the vtec solenoid, is a thick hose that goes into the engine. just remove the clamp and point the hose downward. the engine will leak all the coolant thats inside. most people say to just stuff a rag in there if you ever need to remove it, but its the lowest part of the engine where it takes the coolant in, so putting a pan underneath the car and the use of a towel to clean up is all you need.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

If you have the radiator removed, it's kinda easy. Set the heater temperature **** all the way to HOT so it can flush throught the radiator core. Remove the thermostat; its housing is at the rear, follow the LOWER radiator hose. Bolt the thermostat housing back up, it doesn't have to be very tight.

Stick a garden hose in the lower radiator hose, turn it on. I've done this in summer so I don't freeze, but you can just hold your hand around that hose to direct "most" of the water through the engine. It'll come out the upper radiator hose. Yes, it makes a mess.

When it's clear, you can try to drain as much as possible then pour distilled water into one of the hoses.

Now install your radiator and thermostat. Add full-strength antifreeze; half of the capacity. Total capacity is probably less then 2 gallons, so add 1 gallon of antifreeze. Then add distilled water until it's full.

Open the bleed screw at the thermostat housing, allow air to escape. With the radiator cap off, start the engine & allow it to run, topping up the radiator as needed. When it's warm the thermostat will open & the radiator hoses will begin warming up.

When you think all the air has been worked out, turn off the engine. Top up the radiator & close the cap. Fill the overflow reservoir to it's line. Test drive, then cool it off. Squeeze the radiator hoses & listen for air sloshing around. If so, you have to work it over to the thermostat or radiator & let it out through the bleeder or cap.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I will try it this way, sounds correct. thanks I hope I screw anything up.