Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

95 EX V-6 P1361 Trouble Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 02:17 PM
95EXV6
Unregistered
Default 95 EX V-6 P1361 Trouble Code

Alright you Accord fanatics; let's see if any of you can figure this one out.

I have a 95 EX V-6, completely stock. After resetting the Check Engine light with a scan tool, the car runs fine and normal with one exception. If your driving along and press the accelerator to the floor to force a downshift (as you would to pass), the engine revs to about 5000 RPM, dies, and the check engine light comes on; the engine does not recover until you let off the accelerator. From that point on the engine will not rev past 4K; it surges as though it were electrically governed. I'm assuming the second symptom is because of the malfunction and is a preventative measure imposed by the computer.

The scan tool displays a P1361 code which is described as:
P1361 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor A (Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor) Intermittent interruption
P1361 Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor Intermittent Interruption

According to the Haynes manual, the TDC sensor on the V-6 is under the timing belt cover (which is a pain to get to) and they have no diagnostic trouble shooting procedure for it; they recommend taking it to the shop for diagnostics. They do, however, list the resistance specification as 1500-3000 ohms, which i've checked via the wiring harness and came up with 2250 ohms (right in the middle).

I understand that this simple test doesn't mean the sensor is good; however, before I spend $180 on a new one and tear off the front of the engine, I want to be sure that it's bad and that it couldn't be something else.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have a copy of the diagnostic flow chart for this code from the Honda factory service manual? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Default RE: 95 EX V-6 P1361 Trouble Code

I will guarantee that if you send your car into garage for diagnostic theyll tell the same thing with the sensor

i think you need to replace it - it probably shortens when you rev it up.

I hope you know how to replace it yourself - you're right - it's a sucky job to do

Old 06-27-2005, 08:21 PM
95EXV6
Unregistered
Default RE: 95 EX V-6 P1361 Trouble Code

Well, no prize was awarded, but here is what was found.

The Camshaft TDC Sensor has two pick-ups and therefore 4 pins on the lead which misled me to believe that I was ohming out the Camshaft TDC Sensor AND the Crankshaft TDC Sensor. This is not the case, I was actually checking only the two pick-ups from the Camshaft TDC Sensor.

The Crankshaft TDC Sensor was the culprit and the leads for it come out by the Oil Filter. However, once I discovered the actual problem, it would have tested good too. The problem was that the mounting "ear" of the Crankshaft Sensor was cracked and, at some point, the Sensor had collided with the indexing ring on the crank pulley. Why it manifested itself only at high RPM's, I don't know.

The previous owner had told me that he had had the Timing Belt replaced at about 100K miles. I'm guesing that either it was broken during the installation of the belt or overtightened when reinstalled. Who knows.

It runs like a champ now. I hope this information helps someone else out.