Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

98 accord auto shutoff/broken timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM
mnvikings1973
Unregistered
Default 98 accord auto shutoff/broken timing belt

My question is: did honda begin to install automatic engine shutoff switches (circuits) starting with the 98 models? I am pushing it as we speak b/c i think i was supposed to have the belt and pump changed at 95k and im at 110k. Having trouble coming up with the extra 350-400 bucks to have the belt replaced. Any serious suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to wreck my engine. Been trying to stay off the highway in case it does snap so at least i wont be going so fast when and if the valves and what not start slamming into the pistons.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Default RE: 98 accord auto shutoff/broken timing belt

i dont think so -

we just recently did a head job on 2000 Volkswagen - with broken timing belt 2 Grand repair cost.

you have to replace it no questions about it unless you want spend 2 Grand on repairs.

i dont think it even matters if you break down on the street and not highway still be damaged.
and if not - new belt has to be replaced in any case + towing so...

my advice start saving

P.S. the belt will snap when you really need your car ...always does...

Old 05-03-2005, 05:41 AM
Administrator

You must get that belt changed, do it yourself with the help of someone you know who is pretty good with a wrench.

It would be better if you try to do it yourself than let the engine blow and then have to replace it.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Oldrndrt
Unregistered

Does anyone know where the wrench to remove the crank pulley bolt can be found (or have one they no longer need) I am pretty good with a wrench, but am having trouble getting the bolt out of the crank on my daughters 98 Accord 2.3 Vtec...car has and auto so it's not practical to try to keep the engine from turning and using a long cheater on a bar...always a special tool when I am in a rush! [&:] Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Oldrndrt

Does anyone know where the wrench to remove the crank pulley bolt can be found (or have one they no longer need) I am pretty good with a wrench, but am having trouble getting the bolt out of the crank on my daughters 98 Accord 2.3 Vtec...car has and auto so it's not practical to try to keep the engine from turning and using a long cheater on a bar...always a special tool when I am in a rush! [&:] Thanks for any help you can provide.
Screw da special tool!! drill muda faka out!!!

seriously - Special tool and no rush!! patience my friend , patience...

Old 10-24-2005, 01:24 AM
Oldrndrt
Unregistered

I just twisted it off!!! JK, I found the tool for cheap (new even) on Amazon.com and got the bolt out without any problems...thanks for the response though!

ORIGINAL: Evlampius

ORIGINAL: Oldrndrt

...............Does anyone know where the wrench to remove the crank pulley bolt can be found (or have one they no longer need) I am pretty good.............
Screw da special tool!! drill muda faka out!!!

seriously - Special tool and no rush!! patience my friend , patience...

Old 10-25-2005, 01:58 PM

[sm=groupwave.gif] good job