Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

98 Accord CKP/TDC sensor help???

Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Default 98 Accord CKP/TDC sensor help???

I bought a 98 honda accord and one of the codes is the TDC/CKP sensor, I bought the sensor and want to replace it myself . Can't really afford a mechanic. Anyone have step
By step instructions or a video tutorial ? It's a 2.3L EX, and I'm hoping once this is done it'll be running perfect, I'm very mechanically limited, so please be detailed. Thanks !

Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

What are the actual codes you are getting? You state "one of the codes", sometimes when you have multiple codes they can be related....meaning one might casue the second/third.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Correct me if im wrong, but i think the TDC sensor is right in your distrubutor. If you bought the sensor then you probably bought the whole distrubutor. Unless the 98's are different and have it down by the crank pulley. If its in the distributor, easy unbolt and rebolt job with a timing adjustment. If its behind the crank pulley, considering your "limited mechancial skills", you are better off taking it to a mechanic. To ever get to that sensor is a couple hour job in itself and getting it back together again with your timing marks all set right is a challenging task if you dont know what to look for.

Trust me, ive put my belts on with my cam one tooth off time. I wasnt a happy camper that day.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Actually the TDC & CKP sensors are combined together & located down at the crankshaft pulley. I think you have to remove the lower timing cover which means you have to remove the crankshaft pulley (difficult to get that bolt loose).

(On older Accords those were inside the distributor)

Old 09-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Actually the TDC & CKP sensors are combined together & located down at the crankshaft pulley. I think you have to remove the lower timing cover which means you have to remove the crankshaft pulley (difficult to get that bolt loose).

(On older Accords those were inside the distributor)
I thought so. I just couldnt remember what year that all changed. You have to remove all of the timing belts and pulley to get to it. I did the same job on my car a few year ago (actually with your help) and found out my engine is actually a late model 95, so it isnt down there like my book says. How stupid.

OP: Take it to a mechanic. Period/

Old 09-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I'd be pretty comfortable with doing that job myself. Besides, you just got the car so you might not know (for sure) how old is the timing belt. It's an interference engine, so you DO NOT want to let the timing belt break.

Thing is, it's real tough for us to judge over the net how good you are with wrenches. I've you've never changed your oil, then take it to a shop. If you've changed timing belts & stuff on other cars (non-Honda) then go to the DIY section & look for a thread about download shop manuals. Changing the timing belt is a little bit more than a quick thread here.

I think there IS a pretty good thread of someone changing their timing belt. Search for that in the DIY section. Its probably a mid-1990s Accord, but it's very similar for any F-series engine.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Before tearing into timing belt cover to replace this sensor, suggest you check sensor resistance; first at connector from sensor to engine harness.

If good, the sensor is not the problem. If bad, sensor will need to be replaced.

If resistance is good, check resistance again at the PCM harness connector. If good again, the PCM is the problem and should be replaced. If bad, then wiring or connector fault between PCM connector and CKP/TDC connector.

good luck