Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Bad Crankshaft Position Sensor so they say

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 PM
jazmyneaccord81
Unregistered
Default Bad Crankshaft Position Sensor so they say

Hello I wanted to get some advice about an ignition problem I have with my accord. To start my car is a 1997 accord DX which has recently received an engine swap for an H22a7 with approxiametly 20k miles. The swap was done in January and up until the last week I've had no issues with the car. Last week when I went to start the car all I got was several clicking noises as I tried start the inginition. My brother and I figured I probably had a bad starter or alternator so we tried to start the car from the starter relay. That didn't work so we tried to jump start the car but it would do nothing but click once each time. The battery appeared to work fine(although we cleaned a good deal of corrosion the positive terminal) because the lights would come on and there wasn't a low battery light. I decided I'd have the car towed to a nearby auto shop and let them run a diagnostic. Today they told me the problem was a bad crankshaft position sensor. I'm still learning about how engines work so I hadn't heard of this part before. The guy I talked with said it would cost almost $300 dollars for a new sensor and roughly $200 dollars for labor. What I was wondering is if anyone else has an H22a7 or other prelude engine that has had this go bad with less than 30k miles on the engine. If so did you fix it yourself, and if so how much did the sensor cost you? I'm not an automotive expert so I won't argue that the shop is wrong about their analysis of my vehicles probelm, however I'd like to know if there's a tool I can use to identify this kind of faulty part in the future.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bad Crankshaft Position Sensor so they say

You can go to AutoZone & they'll read the error codes that are stored whenever the check-engine light comes on. With the code number you can search this forum for things.

The crank position sensor is in the distributor, and not available separately. You'd have to replace the distributor.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:52 PM
jazmyneaccord81
Unregistered
Default RE: Bad Crankshaft Position Sensor so they say

That's the puzzling part. I didnt' have a check engine light. And the mechanic at the auto shop said it was a bad crankshaft position sensor. I'm so puzzled as to how that part could go bad in an engine with only 24k miles. Maybe this is a common problem with the H22a7 that I didn't know about?