Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

bent valves??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:10 PM
ooo5
Unregistered
Default bent valves??

First off, I am new to this forum and to Honda's. I have a Ford Lightning and am on svtperformance forum, but am looking at buying an accord from a friend for a daily driver. The accord is a 4cyl. and from what I have been told, the timing chain broke and the valves were bent. My question is, do I just need to buy a new head with valves and put it on or do I need to buy a whole new motor???
I am going to look at the car for the first time today so I will have more info after that. For now all I know is that it is a 96 or 97 accord coupe with a 4 cyl. and auto.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Old 08-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: bent valves??

its possible that you only need a new head, but the pistons or rods could have been damaged as well, as far as i know the only real way to know is to take it apart.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:30 PM

If the timing belt broke, there could be a multitude of problems in addition to bent valves (i.e. pistons, valve guides, etc..)since Hondas are interference engines. If I were you I would shop around for a used motor and also price a complete rebuild for the motor currently in the vehicle.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Or there could be no problems at all besides slapping a new belt on it.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

how did they know that valves were bent ?? did they do a leakage test ?? pull valve cover off and manually chk too much movement on rocker arms or just took a guess ??
if indeed the valves are bent .. you need to pull the head and see if there is other damage if not, replace the bent valves, repalce all the valve seals and put it together no need to buy a new or used head if there is no damagwe to the head ..
but like Chio said ,, make sure that it is not just a broken timing belt only ...

Old 08-27-2007, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: ooo5

First off, I am new to this forum and to Honda's. I have a Ford Lightning and am on svtperformance forum, but am looking at buying an accord from a friend for a daily driver. The accord is a 4cyl. and from what I have been told, the timing chain broke and the valves were bent. My question is, do I just need to buy a new head with valves and put it on or do I need to buy a whole new motor???
I am going to look at the car for the first time today so I will have more info after that. For now all I know is that it is a 96 or 97 accord coupe with a 4 cyl. and auto.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice

I'm guessing that this was just a typo but I thought I'd mention it anyway. The 96/97's used a belt not a chain.