General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bubbling sound from the steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are a number of diy's to be found. Google "honda air mix motor". Here is one:

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-p...-cleaning.html

Note, your motor may not be exactly same as Honda Pilot.

Somewhere I read to use toothpicks to pry/hold the small clips till all are released and avoid breaking them.

You should examine the servo to verify it is source of noise.

regards

Last edited by TexasHonda; 09-12-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Sounds identical to my issue, which the forum helped me solve.

See: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...e2/#post331663

Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Default im under warranty should i be covered to fix the problem?

I have a 07 accord just bought from carmax. I hear that bubling sound.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:37 PM
Default Gurgling noise

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Climate control or Auto Temp Control, uses a servo called air mix motor to adjust blend of heated/cooled air to achieve the selected temperature setting.

These air mix motors have a tiny potentiometer that provides feedback on servo arm position to allow precise control. W/ time the tiny wipers that track the carbon variable resistance strips create loose particles that get trapped in the grease covering the strips. This creates an alternate current path and changes resistance feedback. This results in "hunting" of the servo attempting to find a "correct" position. This sound can be clicking, rattling, gurgling sound depending on amplitude and speed of movements.

If you look on drivers side under the dash and move the temp setting, you should see the servo motor changing the blend door position. Watch for jerky random movements and for the sound you describe.

Fix is to replace or repair servo (difficult but possible).

If you think this is problem, post back and I can provide some links to repairs by others.

good luck
I have a 2003 Honda Civic that I just got and it's set for a while I need to replace the power steering pump but other than that it drives good and while I'm driving I hear water swishing behind the dash It sounds like it's in the top left part of the dash or near the steering wheel Is this similar to what you were talking about above

Old 01-31-2021, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

I read a post where the blend doors actuator sounds like gurgling water. If you shut off the heater/climate control, do you still hear the noise?

The alternative is that you have air in your coolant and you are hearing the sound in your heater core. You can try bleeding any air from the cooling system by removing the radiator cap on a cold engine, starting the car, and turn the heat on high. This should force coolant through the heater core under your dash and removed any trapped air.