Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

A/c compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Unregistered
Default A/c compressor question

Alright, I have a 94 Accord EX... I am looking at installing a new A/C compressor... what are the procedures in flushing the system??? can I reuse the stock hoses??? I know i need to replace the Drier... O-rings?? also... is it possible to make a A/C compressor work that is from a 1.8L Civic... my friend has it so that I wouldn't have to play 300 Bones.... any input?

Old 07-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A/c compressor question

You need to use a vacuum pump to pull a hard vacuum on the system & close it up for a couple hours. That alone sends most people to a shop to get it done. Make sure it holds a hard vacuum without leaking. If it leaks it's sorta prointless to charge it without fixing the leak.

You're right, you should get a new receiver/dryer. As for other things, it depends on WHY you're replacing the compressor. If it seized up & spilled it's guts into the system, then your expansion valve is probably clogged. Maybe there's shrapnel scattered around inside all the other AC components.

Maybe tell us the rest of the story...

Oh yeah. The Civic compressor might have too small flow capacity, for the smaller car. Even if the capacity is about the same, the big questions are how is it mounted & which way do the hoses point? Basic mechanical common sense issues, but you'll have trouble finding a mounting bracket to put the wrong compressor on the wrong car.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

yes, I understand... the problem with it is I have refrigerent in it and when I hit the A/C button on my console the Clutch on the Compressor doesn't spin ... it just sits there... not really sure about A/C compressors.. need to learn more

Edit: also where are places it can leak?

Old 08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Get a shop manual for your year. There's a few electrical issues that can do just that. Maybe a bad relay? Maybe a broken wire?

Measure voltage at the single wire that goes to your AC compressor clutch. If that wire doesn't get +12v when you turn it on, then you can chase electrical problems without opening up the refrigerant system.

If that DOES get 12v but your compressor clutch doesn't engage, then you should look up whether you can replace (repair??) the compressor's clutch without disturbing the compressor itself.

It can leak at pretty much ANY of the tubing joints. There's O-rings at all those connections, even tho they look like compression fittings. Also, where the tube makes a transition to the rubber hose. Then there's also the compressor shaft.

Why do you think there's refrigerant in the system? Measure pressure with a gauge? If there's a leak, all the refrigerant will be gone before too long.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea its probably low....and when the pressure goes down a certain point, a sensor tells the compressor not to come on. fill it with some charge that has uv dye in it. then at night take a black light to it. if no leaks are present under the hood, there is an evaporator under the glove box that does have two fittings that can leak