Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Cam gears, pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Default Cam gears, pulleys

changing cam gears and pulley systems are not that big right?
does it increase your hp?

what other small mods to the engine can increase hp?
how about spark plugs?

not intake and exhaust

Old 04-25-2006, 03:02 AM
Default RE: Cam gears, pulleys

Spark plugs won't give you any noticable HP gain, maybe 1 or 2 if your old ones are really worn. The cam gear will probably give you an estimated 3-5hp and the pulleys around 5-8hp. I haven't installed any myself so I can't judge how difficult the installation was. There really aren't any small modifications that I can think of that have to do with internals. Maybe you could get a little more agressive cam regrind? Are you thinking of spending a good amount? If you are, I'd say turbo would be the way to go. Once I get some things paid off thats what I'll be saving for, plus theres a good many people here that would be more than happy to help you pick out the parts. The only thing is, if you go turbo and don't change your exhaust (doesn't seem like you want to), you won't be seeing as much of a gain as you could.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:21 AM

Gosh, really?....i just want my car (150hp) to become like 200

Arent turbos like a pain in the .....
like 12 hrs to install, tuning it, worry about breaking down....
i dont see much of a benefit to my car to put a 2000-3000$ turbo kit into my slow 150 hp car....

i dunno, im thinking about doing pulley, cam gears, new intake, whole new exhaust system for sure... currently looking for more mods... im thining about changing the clutch and throwing in a short shifter....but turbos.... turbos are like crazy...to me.

i dunno...

and tom! "The only thing is, if you go turbo and don't change your exhaust"

why? explain briefly please?
thanks/

Old 04-25-2006, 05:13 PM

50hp gain require alot of mods, cams, ported head, i/h/e....chipped and stuff....with just sparkplug, cam gears and pulley probably give u no more than 5hp,i still run stock pulley, last time i dynoed my car with stock cam gears and pulley is about 155.8lbs of torque and after i change those is 159 lbs of torque, not much different, the hp stay the same for some reason... if you want to increase hp, turbo or build NA motor is the way to go....your exhaust gotta change def. if you go NA, 2.5in straight pipe is the best way to go, for turbo, correct me if im wrong, but you gotta have at least 2.75in straight pipe...and if you decide to put in turbo, your car wont be slow anymore...depend on how deep is your wallet, you can build your motor for turbo and you can pretty much running from 250whp to 600+whp lol

Old 04-25-2006, 11:10 PM

Yeah, your slow 150 hp honda will be a quick little speed demon. Definetly worth the money if your looking for a quick car. I mean a QUICK car!

Old 04-26-2006, 04:01 AM

Thanks guys

Old 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

turbos are reliable....check out mbo's setup. its trick.

leaving your stock exhaust on is fine.....it will really leave your car looking seriously sleeper....

open exhaust helps the turbo spool up faster because of the reduction in backpressure.

open exhaust also increases hp by a percentage, and when your have MUCH more horsepower, the increase is greater.

200 hp is unbelieveably easy to attain with a turbo.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:11 AM

A 50hp gain from bolt-ons alone wont be that easy to come by quick. Fixing up the internals will help you out the most if you plan on going the non-turbo route but then again you sound like you want cheap quick fixes. It's kinda hard to point out parts if you don't wanna mess with the I/H/E. Afterall, the car's gotta breathe.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:17 AM

editted out

Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM

I would guess that by doing, intake/headers/exhaust/pulleys you're looking at about 30-40 HP depending on the setup/quality etc if all the dyno's are correct but you're also looking to spend about $1000.00 for around $1500.00 you can build a turbo kit then install it yourself.... just a thought

Quick Reply: Cam gears, pulleys