Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

cant shift into reverse only HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Default cant shift into reverse only HELP!

so this sucks guys i put in a new obx high flow catalyc converter on my 01 coupe 4cyl manual... and then like approx 4 days later the dang check engine light turned on.. to make things worse i think i messed up my transmission coz now i cant shift into reverse.... anyone have any pointers on where to start the fix... i was thinking of buying an h22 transmission i think its the M2F4 and swapping it with that... but idk if it will be a headache... please someone help me...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Default RE: cant shift into reverse only HELP!

Did you ever notice any trouble getting it into reverse before you installed the cat? I can't see how a high flow cat would cause a trans problem. The high flow cat is probably causing the CEL though. Get the code read for free at AutoZone. Did the high flow cat have a oxygen sensor bung?

Have you tried holding the shifter like you are trying to put it in reverse, then slowly letting off the clutch? Sometimes mine is a pain to get in reverse and I have to slowly let off the clutch to pop it in.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Look around the cat for parts of the shifter linkage. I'm thinking the cat is bigger or shaped differently than stock, so it interferes with the motion of the bottom end of the shift lever?? Or somehow interferes with the shift cables that go to the tranny?

Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the cat is behind the tranny... shouldn't affect anything i think.... check electrical problem....

Edit: did you do what Jon (00Accordlx)said?

Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 AM

yes the cat does come with the o2 sensor holes... i had to cut the wires and extend them so it could work though...

and i had no trouble getting into reverse untill yesterday... when the check engine light came on... ill take it to auto zone and see whats the deal... could it be the O2 sensor?

Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 AM

also i think my clutch or something was going out already coz when i would try and do a burn out the whole car would shake and it felt like it was stopping and going, like sputtering ....

also once i tried doing a burn out and i let go of the clutch and all i heard was the car reving but no tires spinning at the rate of the rpms... so i think it was slipping clutch...

anyways im going to put the car up right now and take a look down there....

Old 05-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

OK, burnouts & chattering clutches make me think of something completely different...

Clutch disk warped or coming apart; clutch drags just enough that you can't engage reverse - because reverse is NOT synchronized.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:31 PM

First off if it's an auto, some have park locks that engage when things like blinkers and other "road mandatory" things stop working. I would check all of your fuses and lights. It's probably coincidence that it happened after the swap. same thing happened in my step-dad's car.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:35 PM

First off if it's an auto, some have park locks that engage when things like blinkers and other "road mandatory" things stop working. I would check all of your fuses and lights. It's probably coincidence that it happened after the swap. same thing happened in my step-dad's car.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it's not auto... its manual