Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

car wont start. need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Default car wont start. need help

my 1990 honda accord lx will not start. plugs and wires are good just replaced and checked. had number 2 and 4 wires backwards what would that have done to not make the car start? will i need a new distributor? also the car will not stay in park and takes some jiggling to get it to light up the p indicator. would that be an issue with the linkage at the tranny or just the cable at the shifter. also starter sounds like its going. were exactly in the bay is the starter? ive had all amercian cars and this is my first honda. any tips tricks or help would be very helpfull

Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the Check Engine Light (CEL), Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition for guidance on diagnosing where igntion is failing.

good luck

Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 AM

fuel isnt the problem i was able to check that already. i bout a new ignition switch for it already as well. but the car still will not start. im usually pretty handy with cars but this being my first import im second guessing all my decisions and checks thinking im missing something. i got the shifter problem fixed as well. i just cant get the damn thing to start. it turns over and tries but it just isnt catching.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 PM

If you're sure fuel and ignition switch issues are resolved, then ignitor or coil is likely. See previously suggested link for help w/ diagnostics. Usually, coil is weaker than ignitor, both either can be the problem.

good luck

Old 01-23-2011, 02:30 PM

thanks for all your help. i ran through all the stuff you told me about and got it to start. i shut it down to go back to the auto store and now i cant get it to start again. its very sluggish and stuggling big time to turn that motor over. final crank didnt even turn it over all the way. this car has me absolutly stumped right. first honda and not a good first. any help would be awesome thanks a bunch guys

Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM

An engine that won't turn over at decent speed won't start either. You may have a defective starter or starter solenoid causing slow turnover speed. Make sure all battery cables are clean and secure.

good luck

Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

the starter and starter celonoid are together in the same peice. and i can hear the fuel pump kick on and and i know im getting spark cause i checked the wires and plugs. so i still cant figure what the hell is wrong with this damn thing. i checke my fuses and its not any of them. the only thing left i can think of that i havent checked is the relays. is there anything else i might be missing thats vital to a honda starting thats not on my american made truck cutlas, or reatta?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

So does the starter crank the engine? If not, how are you able to know that you have spark? Post #5 sounds like you've drained your battery trying, so how about charging it back up before continuing testing.

Another thing...
Hearing the fuel pump is good. But that doesn't prove the injectors are firing. After cranking & trying to start, you can pull a sparkplug to see if you smell gasoline in there.

Or spray starter fluid into the throttle-body to see if that makes it run for a few seconds.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM

good advice from Jim to check for fuel, charge battery and try to start w/ starter fluid.

I have heard of a few cases where spark and fuel were both present, but engine would not start. Problem was spark was too weak to jump inside the compressed air/fuel environment in the cylinder. This is usually a weak coil issue. Try checking spark w/ a timing light attached to a spark plug leak. No flash means no spark.

You can buy a rebuilt distributor for not much more than a coil.

good luck