Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Check Engine Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:47 PM
rplemmons
Unregistered
Default Check Engine Light Help

I am new to the board and desperatley need help. I am driving my father's 1992 Honda Acoord and the check engine light is coming on occasionally. I talked with a mechanic and he siad you need to use a jumper to read the codes. I have seen several of you say Auto Zone will read the codes for free. WIll they do it in this situation? If not can anyone give me instructions or reference a link on how to do this myself I would greatly appreciate it. I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Check Engine Light Help

down in the passenger side foot well, there is a kick panel right where the bottom edge of the door opening starts to go up, it is right below the glove box. its just a piece of plastic. pull it out. underneath that is a blue connector with two wires that is not connected to anything take a paper clip or wire or whatever and jump the two prongs. now turn the ignition to the on setting and the check engine light is going to flash, this is how you read the series of flashes

codes 1 through 9 are indicated by a series of short flashes; two digit codes use a long flash for the first digit followed by the appropriate number of short flashes. For example, code 14 would be indicated by 1 long flash followed by 4 short flashes. Codes are separated by a pause between displays. Multiple codes are transmitted in an alternating pattern. For example, a code 3 and 14 would be displayed as 3 short flashes (for code 3) followed by the separator pause, then 1 long flash and 4 short flashes (for code 14).

code0 = ECU
code1 = oxygen content
code3/5 = manifold absolute pressure
code4 = crank angle
code6 = coolant temperature
code7 = throttle angle
code8 = Top Dead Center position
code9 = no1 cylinder position
code10 = intake air temperature
code12 = exhaust gas recirculation system
code13 = atmospheric pressure
code14 = electronic air control
code15 = ignition output signal
code16 = fuel injector
code17 = vehicle speed sensor
code20 = electric load detector
code30 = A/T Fl signal A
code31 = A/T Fl signal B
code41 = oxygen sensor heater
code43 = fuel supply system

i believe this is what you wanted to know

lightshow

Old 01-29-2006, 06:30 PM

usually if you take your car to get it diognosed and they figure out what's exactly wrong with your car and you decide to fix it there; a good mechanic would convert the charge for the diognose towards the repairs. just ask around.
or you can do what lightshow advised.
also you can buy an obd reader. just the reader only that gives out codes will cost around 120 bucks (for a decent one).

Old 01-29-2006, 09:33 PM
rilos99
Unregistered

awesome you guys know your stuff nuff said.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Good post on your codes Lightshow, thats givin the forum members good sound advice...We all Thank You for the code information..

WheelBrokerAng
ORIGINAL: lightshow

down in the passenger side foot well, there is a kick panel right where the bottom edge of the door opening starts to go up, it is right below the glove box. its just a piece of plastic. pull it out. underneath that is a blue connector with two wires that is not connected to anything take a paper clip or wire or whatever and jump the two prongs. now turn the ignition to the on setting and the check engine light is going to flash, this is how you read the series of flashes

codes 1 through 9 are indicated by a series of short flashes; two digit codes use a long flash for the first digit followed by the appropriate number of short flashes. For example, code 14 would be indicated by 1 long flash followed by 4 short flashes. Codes are separated by a pause between displays. Multiple codes are transmitted in an alternating pattern. For example, a code 3 and 14 would be displayed as 3 short flashes (for code 3) followed by the separator pause, then 1 long flash and 4 short flashes (for code 14).

code0 = ECU
code1 = oxygen content
code3/5 = manifold absolute pressure
code4 = crank angle
code6 = coolant temperature
code7 = throttle angle
code8 = Top Dead Center position
code9 = no1 cylinder position
code10 = intake air temperature
code12 = exhaust gas recirculation system
code13 = atmospheric pressure
code14 = electronic air control
code15 = ignition output signal
code16 = fuel injector
code17 = vehicle speed sensor
code20 = electric load detector
code30 = A/T Fl signal A
code31 = A/T Fl signal B
code41 = oxygen sensor heater
code43 = fuel supply system

i believe this is what you wanted to know

lightshow

Old 08-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Default 2003 Honda Accord Engine light on

2003 Accord check Engine light stay on, but when I hit the break it go off ? relieve the break it went back on ? help !