COOLING FAN NIGHTMARE on 1997 ACCORD V6 - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > Your Ride > Engine & Internal

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM

I have a 1997 Honda Accord 4-Door V6, W/ AT and AC. Last year my radiator started leaking and I had my small town local mechanic replace it; but soon thereafter I noticed that my cooling fans weren't working with or without the AC on and then my car ran hot when I was out of town waiting on a train. I replaced the radiator cap and filled with 50/50 coolant. My mechanic tested both cooling fans and they worked fine and then replaced the cooling fan relay and all the fuses and still the fans did not work. I told him I needed assurance that a fan was working because I needed to visit my son whom lives 4 hours away. He pressure checked the system for leaks and checked the thermostat, but since there aren't many Hondas around my rural area he wasn't sure what to look for and wired the condensor fan to come on with the AC and put a fuse link in line. Now, 8 months later, the fans still don't work except that one fan when the AC is on. I've replaced the fan switch on the thermostat housing and the fan switch on the valve cover next to firewall and will next replace the fan switch behind the distributor. I am hoping that will solve the problem; but if not I am at a stand still. What can I do? and Why are there three cooling fan switches? What does the switch in the valve cover do? I am beginning to feel very stupid here in central Kansas. Thanks to any and all who can help. My sister gave me this car because I've had 13 back operations and am looking at 2 more and my funds are very limited; so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.