Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

difference between short ram and CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Default difference between short ram and CAI?

hi i was wonderign what was the difference between a cold air in take and a short ram. i' ve been looking ar AEM stuffs and the short ram is cheaper.
i have a 98 accord 4-cyl (5spd).
whoich one should i get?

any other brand should i look into?

sincerely,

thomas

Old 06-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator
Default RE: difference between short ram and CAI?

the short ram has the air filter located in the engine bay so it is still sucking in hot engine air,...

a cold air intake moves the filter outside of the engine bay, so the air being sucked in is cold.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:42 PM

thanx for your quick reply patrick.

so is it pointless to get a short ram??? should i go for the cold air intake??

what other brand are good also???

Old 06-13-2005, 10:55 AM

It's not pointless. Some prefer short ram. and it still provides a gain. Most of the time just not as much, but the difference won't be huge.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:52 PM

CAI is kinda ****ty in the rain... or snow lol
cause it usually sucks air from ur wheel well and we dont need water in the engine lol

Old 06-25-2005, 01:49 PM

You need water in your engine, like you need a bullet in the head, cause that's how your engine is gonna react if your CAI sucks in water... = NEW ENGINE!

Old 06-26-2005, 10:44 PM

thanks there 6th no need to repeat that [>:]

Old 06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
8992B
Unregistered

True about the water problem, but i saw a fluid that you put in your gastank if you ever get water in your engine, its supposed to rid the water. Or you can always take apart every screw and put it back together, but then your liable to lose some IMPORTANT screws.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Administrator

hydrolock....the long running myth...

i have been racing for a long time..imports and dmoestics, 3 cylinders to 10 cylinders..and i have NEVER met someone in person who has hydrolocked an engine because of a PROPERLY INSTALLED CAI. in my nonner, my filter is behind my LF foglight, and its about 4 inches off the ground..i have driven in VERY hard rain...to hydrolock your engine, youd have to almost submerge the car in water.

say that youre driving in a hard rain...at 50 mph.so the speed of the headwind, combined with the speed of the car is pushing air and water at a tremendous rate under your car. it should be hitting the fascia first, and then it gets caught up in the "draft" flowing under your car. what little water does happen to get pulled with the intake air firt has to make it through the filter...but alot of it will be absorbed, and evaporate. then, it has to travel through a length of METAL tube, that is hot, and surounded by radiant heat...so more of it evapoates. it then hits the throttle body, and in the intake plenum..MORE metal filled with radiant heat...have you ever touched your intake manifold after even a short drive? as water travels with the air, the air can make bends and such, but the water, which is heavier doent make sharp bends as well as the air, and hits the hot metal...so what little makes it to the engine is very likely less than the amount of water that is mixed in with the gas at the gas station..my dad used to own a gas station, and theres ALOT more water in the gas than most people think...

Old 06-29-2005, 07:10 PM

Hydorlocking usually occurs when people floor it, through extremely wet conditions ie. filter nearly submerged or more. Take it easy and your should be fine. Encouter some really deep water, stop.

Quick Reply: difference between short ram and CAI?