Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Drive light blinking - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
dezi
Unregistered
Default Drive light blinking - HELP

When my car is in drive the green light around the "D" on the guage cluster blinks. I dont have an owners manual and do not know what this means. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by dezi
When my car is in drive the green light around the "D" on the guage cluster blinks. I dont have an owners manual and do not know what this means. Any help is appreciated.
something is wrong with your tranny. what year?? if its an older accord its prob. the shift or tq. solenoid

Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
dezi
Unregistered

its a '91. if it is the shift or torque solenoid are those relatively cheap and easy to replace?

Old 07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Supper Moderator

its a '91. if it is the shift or torque solenoid are those relatively cheap and easy to replace?
easy yes cheep no from honda they are like $250 each. go to the pnp or jy and debow like 10 of them you might get a good one. but to be %100 sure its your solenoid check your codes. On the pass. side kick panel there is a blue 2 pole connector. Take a paper clip and connect both of the connectors and turn the key so your dash lights come on (dont crank the car) then read the blinks. long blinks are x10 and short blinks are x 1. (exp. 4 long blinks and 2 short blinks is code "42") hope this helps.

-Ryan

Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
dezi
Unregistered

thanks a bunch for the help. would there be any other symptoms of the solenoid going out? some times, when accelerating from a stop, the car just loses power. I have to completely let off the gas then step on it again to regain power and continue moving. sort of dangerous when crossing multiple lanes of traffic.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Supper Moderator

thanks a bunch for the help. would there be any other symptoms of the solenoid going out? some times, when accelerating from a stop, the car just loses power. I have to completely let off the gas then step on it again to regain power and continue moving. sort of dangerous when crossing multiple lanes of traffic.
Dose it not shift into all the gears?? Count how many times it shifts (it should shift 3 times, then you will be in 4th gear) Like when you start out @ a light it will bog down bad until you bring the RPM's up then when it switches gears again it starts to bog down again? like it starts out in 2nd then when switching gears it goes to 4th. Mine did that but I tore up the tranny when I replaced my shocks and then I just got a new one. But 1st check your codes that will tell you for sure if its your solenoids or not. Or you can remove both of the solenoids and hook them up to your battery and see if they click if they click they should still be good. Also something else I did be4 I blew the tranny is change your tranny fluid. After I did that I didnt get a blinking "D4" light for like 4months then it came back then I changed the fluid and it went away then after the 2nd time then I blew the tranny. (not b/c of driving or anything the axle poped out of the tranny while I was going over RR tracks after I lowerd it.
sorry for such a long post but I hope the helps you out b/c I know how frustrating the damn accord tranny can be.

-ryan

Last edited by g22cd5; 07-01-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
dezi
Unregistered

Just had the tranny replaced a few thousand miles ago. The shifting seems fine and goes through all the gears. Ill go try to manually read the codes now.

oh, and my GF told me it was a '91, but i just found out its actually a '94 if that makes any difference.

Last edited by dezi; 07-01-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
dezi
Unregistered

ok, so i just went and looked for the "blue 2 pole connector" but don't really know what im looking for. have a pic or description? also, there is a fuse panel on the drivers side kick panel, would it be under there or do i need to remove the kick panel on the pass side? on the blinking lights, will all the dash lights blink or just the CEL or what should i be looking for. sorry for all the questions, never read a code like this before.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Supper Moderator

ok, so i just went and looked for the "blue 2 pole connector" but don't really know what im looking for. have a pic or description? also, there is a fuse panel on the drivers side kick panel, would it be under there or do i need to remove the kick panel on the pass side? on the blinking lights, will all the dash lights blink or just the CEL or what should i be looking for. sorry for all the questions, never read a code like this before.
it should be on the pass side kick panel...here is a couple of pics. Yes you will need to pop off the kick panel if you look in pic 2 I have mine just hanging over my kick panel I just leave mine like that so I dont have to keep taking the kick panel on and off.
Name:  DSCN2393.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  DSCN2394.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  DSCN2395.jpg
Views: 2506
Size:  106.7 KB